Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gas!

Default Gas!

What can I do for a baby that seems to be having trouble pooping? Or maybe it's gas? Either way she seems really really uncomfortable.

Default Re: Gas!

Nurse her
    Hold her upright
    Massage
    Put her in a warm bath <- very likely to result in poop in the tub!

Simethicone anti-gas drops are safe at any age if you aren't opposed to medication. It isn't absorbed into the blood stream so you don't have to worry about damaging her still-developing kidneys or liver. It seems to help my kiddo some - she is a big air-swallower. Also with every diaper change we "bicycle" her legs while she is on her back. I also let her spend as much time as I can on her tummy with constant supervision. I lay on my back with her on my chest tummy-down.

What are her pooping habits? Are her poops yellow, seedy, soft - like mustard? True constipation is really rare in newborns who are exclusively breast fed. If she has been getting any formula I recommend stopping that or switching brands. If she does have stools that are hard or dry she should see a doctor, or if she goes more than a couple days without pooping (it can be normal to go as much as a week with breast milk because baby just absorbs so much of it there isn't much waste leftover, but the first time this happens she should see a doc to rule out any other problems).

Also what signs are you seeing that make you think she is uncomfortable? Is she grunting a lot and turning red? That probably bothers you more than it does her. She is still learning what bodily functions feel like. If she is crying and not comforted by nursing, cuddling, swaddling, rocking, white noise, etc - then she might be having gas pains and that is when I would use the simethicone.

Thanks for all the ideas. We tried bicycle legs and keeping her head elevated and lots and lots of nursing. Her poops were fine yesterday all through the morning. She got vaccinated around 2 PM & was pretty fussy after that, not surprisingly. We didn't see a poop again until this morning (an unusually long time between poops around here).
    I don't think this is a medical issue, just an uncomfortable baby. We got an okay poop this morning, but she's still got one brewing it seems. I can hear her little tummy gurgling away. We will probably try that bath here in a few minutes.

Thank you both for your quick ideas!! These are the things they should teach us in the baby class before the baby comes! Of course I'd probably forget, and then I'd be back here asking you anyway!