Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9.5 week old distracted/fussy at breast

Default 9.5 week old distracted/fussy at breast

Hi everyone. My daughter is EBF and things are going pretty well. She has a fussy period at night where she wants to feed basically from 8-11 (this has lasted on and off for the past few weeks) and then passes out for about 6 hours which is great. My question is during the day time though. While she's not fussy and generally happy during the day (I should mention I went dairy-free last week), when I feed her at times, she moves her head around a lot, pulls at my nipple and generally seems distracted. I let her go for a max on 20 minutes on each side (burping her after each) and then we play for a bit and she's fine. My question is, what could be causing this behavior and is there anything I can/should do about it? I do go back to work at the end of February so want to enjoy this last month of breastfeeding. Thanks so much for any help/advice!

Default Re: 9.5 week old distracted/fussy at breast

Welcome!

I'm so glad you're coping so well with that evening cluster-feeding behavior. It's something that throws many moms for a complete loop!

The daytime behavior sounds like normal distractibility. By around 3 months, a lot of babies are really becoming alert to the world around them, and that can impact their nursing. They're feeding and suddenly it's "hey, what's that sound?" or "whoa, the cat just walked by!" If this is the case, it might help to take baby into a dark, quiet room when it's time to nurse her. It also might help to experiment with different positions, particularly reclined and side-lying. They can sometimes cut down on nipple pulling.

When you say that you want to enjoy your last month of breastfeeding, do you mean that you intend to stop nursing once you resume work? Or just that you want to enjoy your last month of being a full-time nursing mom, rather than splitting your time between baby and pump?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the reply! How long does this behavior typically last? Glad to hear it is normal.

The behavior does occur in a dark room too; that said, a lot of times I have soft music or a sound machine on (I.e. At bedtime) so I can try to make it a bit more quiet to see if that works. I often feed reclining with baby across. I'll try the lying down but I've found that challenging to pull off in the past. I should probably learn some other positions!

And what I meant by last month of breastfeeding is being a full time nursing mom- I intend to pump back at work and at least go 6 months. I had to pump exclusively with my first child so I'm thrilled I can feed at the breast this time around! This is the main reason I'm ok with the night time cluster feeds, although I wouldn't mind that ending soon

Lisa, is it at the beginning of a nursing session that your baby is fussy? The end? Throughout?
    My 10 week old is a crazy animal at the breast for the first 2 or 3 minutes but then she settles in. If it bothered me, I'd probably pump until let down & then get her latched. I also notice she's much more calm about the whole thing if I offer before she's really asking or when she's sleepy. If I wait until she cries she's nuts.
    She also gets a little nipple-pully at the end when I assume the milk is coming more slowly than she'd like. If I switch her back and forth and back and forth I sometimes get a few more let downs which keep her more satisfied (though it is cumbersome & I look forward to more efficiency some day...).

Hi Jessica, thanks for the reply! its really throughout the session, unfortunately. I noticed that when she is content, she is sucking and swallowing with big gulps. Otherwise she is quickly sucking and she makes sort of kissing sound. I should mention she moves her arms around and kicks her legs at times, too. Maybe she is just impatient and showing her personality. I do switch her back and forth, too-- once the additional let down comes she seems a bit more satisfied. Appreciate any advice -- maybe I just need to wait it out!