Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fluctuating milk supply issue

Default Re: Fluctuating milk supply issue

Thanks for the info. I checked out an old package of milk and my baby took it fine. Is excess lipase a condition that can happen later on? Like if this was fine am I guaranteed that all future frozen packs are ok?

I have one more question: Do I have to make up every missed feeding with a pumping session? For example, let's say I go away somewhere and can't nurse or pump, can I give my baby a bottle of BM for that feeding and only nurse her for the next feeding? Or will my milk production find a problem with that?

Lipase is an issue that can come and go. Moms who are pumping and storing should periodically pull a few old bags of milk- say, one that's a month old, one that's 2 weeks old, and one that it a week old, and thaw and taste-test them all.

When you miss a feeding, it's generally best to replace it with a pump session. That will give you the best chance of keeping your supply equal to your baby's needs. But this is something you can play a bit by ear. If you feel that your supply isn't suffering from a missed session, and you're still socking away plenty of milk in the freezer, them you're probably okay to skip the occasional pump session.

What sort of situation might you be in where you can't nurse or pump? Maybe we can come up with some ideas for ways to make nursing or pumping possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I never yet ran into such a situation but sometimes I wouldn't mind leaving the house alone without the baby (leaving him with my husband, say) and not having to deal with pumping during that time.

Thanks for all your advice, btw!

Okay, gotcha! I was just wondering if you were falling into the "I can't leave the house because I'm too afraid to nurse in public" booby trap.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Naaa! I have no problem nursing in the car in a parking lot or in a quiet area. I am NOT the type to nurse a baby in the middle of a store, though, like I've seen some moms do! I find that a bit awkward...

Wait until she's older! With young babies, public nursing is difficult because they take so. freakin'. long. to nurse. Older babies- it's 5 minutes and then they are done. I used to park myself in the middle of Target, in the baby furniture display where there was a glider rocker, and nurse. It was probably the most conspicuous place in the whole store, but it was also the most comfortable and I figured I was going to be out of there in 5 minutes anyway...

Lol at that!

This past week I decided to only pump for 5 ounces or 10 minutes, whichever came first. On Friday I did not feel so full! Saturday night, however, I was a bit fullish and woke up Sunday morning with a plugged duct which I resolved with a heating pad. Baby didn't really eat much yesterday during the daytime. Today I woke up feel very soft, empty-ish, and pumping output was reduced by about 2 ounces. I know that a pump can't accurately measure supply but I always get a certain amount and today I didn't. Mondays seem to be my lowest day of the week. Like I didn't even remember to pump until an hour after I usually do because I didn't feel any fullness or letdown (which I always get about 2-2.5 hours after a feeding). It's just weird how my body changes so fast from full to empty to regular, like in a matter of a few hours!