Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time pumping

Default First time pumping

Hi,

I am having some issues with breast-feeding my 6 weeks old. (still figuring out why breast feeding is so painful)
    in meanwhile i have started to pump, so that i get a hang of it once i start going back to work.
    I am still exclusively breastfeeding my baby.

1. Currently i am pumping when i get up for the mid-night feeding, that is the only time i feel full. after feeding my baby i pump for about 15 mins (one breast at a time) and get anywhere between 2 to 3oz of milk.
    2. Is it okay to pump one breast at a time?
    3. I dont feel the let-down, neither during pumping nor during breast feeding. is this okay?
    4. When pumping after the initial 2 mins (which is let-down reflex) the milk comes for 3-4 mins more and then it stops. is that normal? is the phalange size a problem?
    5. I, then massage the breast to get milk spray going again. This works good with my right breast but from the left i cant get more milk after massaging also.
    6. how do i know which size is best fit for me?

any tips/advice as to how should i continue? any mistake that i am doing?

oh, yeah I have medela PISA
    New Mom to a cute lil baby girl

Default Re: First time pumping

1. Currently i am pumping when i get up for the mid-night feeding, that is the only time i feel full. after feeding my baby i pump for about 15 mins (one breast at a time) and get anywhere between 2 to 3oz of milk.
    This is fine. 2-3 oz of milk from both breasts combined is normal output, and is excellent if you're doing it right after feeding the baby. Don't feel like you must feel full in order to pump, though.

2. Is it okay to pump one breast at a time?
    Yes.

3. I dont feel the let-down, neither during pumping nor during breast feeding. is this okay?
    Yes, this is fine. Not all women experience the letdown sensation. I nursed 2 babies for 3 years apiece, and never felt a letdown.

4. When pumping after the initial 2 mins (which is let-down reflex) the milk comes for 3-4 mins more and then it stops. is that normal? is the phalange size a problem?
    Totally normal. Milk typically comes in fits and starts- nothing, then drops, then a letdown, then slower flow again, then nothing- and if you pump long enough, maybe a second letdown.

5. I, then massage the breast to get milk spray going again. This works good with my right breast but from the left i cant get more milk after massaging also.
    Normal. People aren't perfectly symmetrical and there are bound to be differences up between breasts. Usually one breast has better supply than the other, and you can definitely have one breast that is easier to pump from than the other.

6. how do i know which size is best fit for me?
    1. Pumping should be comfortable. Your nipple should not rub against the sides of the collection tube.
    2. You should not feel a loss of suction while you're pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"