Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often is normal?

Default How often is normal?

My 10 month old just recently started eating solid foods. She is doing a baby led weaning approach to eating and we follow her lead. So far she seems to take the breast (usually only one) when she wakes up from a nap and then an hour or more after, she will eat some food and have some water and wont eat milk again before her next nap. I am not sure if this is fine because she started eating so suddenly and went from eating 6-8+ times a day to now only eating 4 time a day and 1 at night, sometimes 3 + the night feed. Seems so little in comparison but she does like eating foods. I have no idea if she is eating enough and enough variety of things and have been feeling nervous. Does that amount or frequency of breastfeeding seem normal for a 10 month old. It feels so odd to put her down to bed without her having had breastmilk but she often eats dinner with us and will have some water and be ok till her night waking to eat. She has also started taking both breasts at her night waking instead of just one side at a time. She usually gets changed when she wakes up and before every nap or bedtime (unless she has a poo) so only 4-5 diaper changes in the day and she never has a super full pee diaper.

Default Re: How often is normal?

The frequency you describe does sound normal for an older baby who us become very interested in solids, but it also sounds like it's at the low end of the range for nursing. On average, breastfed babies need around 8 nursing sessions per day in order to get all or most of their calories from breastmilk, as recommended for the duration of the first year. So if it were me, I would take some steps to nurse more often. For example, I would give her solids only right after she nurses, so that she really fills up on milk. That may reduce her intake of solids a bit, but that's fine, as she doesn't really need them at this point anyway. If she won't nurse before bedtime, try adding in a dream feed right before you go to sleep. If she won't nurse more, maybe consider pumping a but and putting some in a cup?

As mentioned above, I do think that her nursing frequency is normal. But it really wouldn't hurt to aim for a little more nursing than she's currently doing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok, yeah I had been trying to nurse, wait a bit, feed, wait a bit, and then nurse again. This has just been really hard since it takes her a good while to eat even a little of solids and we were often ending up not having time to nurse again and she was not seeming to need that feed again so we just dropped it (she only stays awake for 3.5 hours at a time which is hard to squeeze in 3 different feeds in that time, 2 nursing and 1 solid I mean). I can try to stick in another feed whenever there is time or right after she has eaten some and see if she will take at least a little. She is such a fast nurser that it never seems like she is eating much. I could also try to express some into her cup and offer her that instead of water, would that be a good idea? She never drinks enough from the cup to really need to do a big pump or something but she could get another ounce or two like that. Yeah she seems happy with the amount she is getting especially since she slowed down her night wake ups, but I want to be sure she did not switch too fast especially since she is not full set up on the solids yet.

If she takes a really long time to eat her solids, maybe try giving her a smaller amount? Maybe she'll finish them faster and want to nurse again sooner.

Breastmilk in a cup is a great idea, if you can hack it! I don't like any nursing mom to work harder than she already is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I actually do not give her a lot at once. If she eats some bread with cream cheese or something, I give her small pieces one at a time or offer her small bits of whatever I am eating. She only has 4 teeth (all in the front) so she really has to chew well and she is very careful. That is really why it takes so long. Even sometimes, just eating one oatmeal finger can take her 15 minutes. She still likes to touch it and switch hands and those kinds of things as well since she is still newer to eating. I can usually express an ounce or so pretty quickly, I just hate the pump lol.

Hmm, since you're giving small amounts, I wonder if the solids are acting as a distraction more than anything? Like baby is forgetting to nurse because she got so into the whole eating/chewing/touching/tasting experience?

I totally understand hating the pump!!!

I second the advice to keep offering foods only after a breastfeed at this stage. Food is exciting, distracting and the act of investigation is actually very tiring for them.
    Also, it's possible to incorporate expressed milk into foods such as porridge, warm fruit purees. Breast milk is naturally very sweet and works beautifully to thin down the consistency of eg: a mashed banana or carrot, avocado. I understand that perhaps this might mean deviating from baby led finger foods, but only for as long as you both feel it might be helpful.

I have an enthusiastic solids eater, too. I can usually squeeze in an ounce or two by leaning over the high chair and nursing her before and after solids. (And yes, sometimes I get very messy doing it, so I strip or throw on an old shirt)

She doesn't always but will usually nurse a little that way. I guess it's a captive audience thing.