Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tender nipple. Thrush?

Default Tender nipple. Thrush?

I'm exclusively breast feeding a 3 month old. My left nipple is tender and it stings from time to time but it's very mild. Lanolin helps soothe it. I don't believe it's thrush but, how can I be sure? The skin at the tender area is slightly lighter than the rest but it's not white. Right side is perfectly fine. There doesn't seem to be thrush symptoms on my LO's mouth.

Default Re: Tender nipple. Thrush?

When does the stinging sensation occur?

Have you tried treating it with heat, e.g. throwing a hot pad or water bottle on it? I'm sort of thinking that this could be a mild vasospasm, and if it is, heat would be the first line treatment. And if it made things better, it would help to rule out the thrush possibility.

If this is thrush, lanolin probably isn't what you want to use because it seals in moisture and thrush loves moisture.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Not yet but, will try that. It started couple months ago on and off. If it's thrush, I would think it will affect both sides?

Probably. But I think it is possible to have thrush badly on one side, and imperceptibly on the other. So it's tough to rule it in/out at this point!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"