Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Path forward, daytime milk?

Default Path forward, daytime milk?

DD is 14 months old. I still pump during the day and send milk to daycare for her to drink in a sippy cup. I'm not sure about how to move forward and when. I know I can't send pumped milk to daycare forever, but I'm not sure when I should stop. I don't mind pumping during the day and my supply is still pretty good. We still nurse after daycare, before bed, and in the AM.

Default Re: Path forward, daytime milk?

Actually, you can send pumped milk to daycare forever, if you want. It's a personal choice. You might get some weird looks from people who don't realize that babies can breastfeed for >1 year, or that breastmilk is still a superior choice to any other liquid- but who cares what people think?

If you want to keep pumping, go for it. If you're ready to give it up, you can. A lot of moms pump wean at around 12 months. If you decide to pump wean, here's how to proceed:
    - Drop a single pump session from your day, and then maintain the new, lower level of pumping for several days. Once your supply has had a few days to adjust downwards, drop another pump session. Repeat the process until all your pump sessions are gone.
    - Watch your baby's nursing frequency. If she's nursing 3-5 times a day, she probably doesn't need any other milk in her diet- but since she's so young, I would aim for closer to 5 than 3. That might mean offering a couple of extra times per day.
    - If baby's generally nursing 3 or fewer times per day, she would probably benefit from having some whole-milk dairy in her diet. This doesn't have to mean bottles/sippies/cups of cow's milk, although that is often the most convenient source of dairy. You can also give her yogurt and cheese, which many kids like better than cow's milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal, at this point it is up to you whether you want to keep pumping or not. It's not uncommon for toddlers to start rejecting the expressed breast milk at some point, even when they are perfectly happy to keep nursing, so that is often a trigger for mothers who have continued to pump into toddlerhood to stop. It's also perfectly fine to stop pumping because you are tired of it - as mommal says, you may be nursing enough to meet baby's dairy needs at this point, and if not, you could add in some non-mother dairy, if baby does not have a dairy intolerance. (There are also non-dairy ways to supplement calcium, vitamin D etc).

I'm still pumping for my 14 month old, too, albeit in a reduced capacity. I'm thankful that I live in a state that protects the pumping rights of moms for THREE years after the birth of a child, so I've really just tailored my pumping to my needs and my child's intake. At this point, her expressed milk needs are fairly low--she tends to request a maximum of 6 oz a day, and we've had a couple of days here and there over the last two weeks where she didn't want any expressed milk at all.

I am personally choosing to be cautious about complete pump weaning because I'm a low storage capacity mom, and my supply responds to long periods without milk removal by dropping quite quickly. So I've personally decided that I will keep at least one pumping session over my lunch break for a while, even if my daughter starts to completely refuse expressed milk while I work.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I kept pumping after a year -- 2x a day for a while, then down to one. I think when she was around 20 months I completely stopped -- I was getting almost nothing at that point, maybe 1-1.5 oz pumping 15 minutes once a day. Plus, she was not interested in drinking the milk. If you do continue pumping, do your best (and I did not do so well at first) to not get stressed about quantities and such. I had to just tell myself that whatever I pumped was what she was going to have to get, even if it was not much. But I had those days where I'd freak out by having only 3 oz for the whole day or something. I knew intellectually it was fine, as she was still nursing a lot at night and on weekends, but she still liked her milk for a while so I stressed about her wanting some when there wasn't any.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I only stopped pumping because it was annoying me so much. You could totally continue!
    One thing I would add, for me at least, was that sometimes after dropping a session, I would occasionally pick it up again, if I felt like DD needed it, for whatever reason. Maybe it was just me having a hard time ending that stage. Actually just gave her the last of the frozen milk the other day!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

I have a question also relating to expressed bm at the sitters house.
    My DD will be 12 months in about 3 weeks (28th). She has been exclusively bf and we do baby led solids since 6 months. I work 4--10 hour days a week. I have been pumping 4 times every day that I work. My supply is good I usually get on a low day 14 oz to 17 oz on a high day. I just divide whatever I pumped into 3 bottles for the day. And we nurse on demand when we are together. Probably 3 times before bed. And at least 2-3 between bedtime and my last feed before I go to work in the morning.
    This last week she has been refusing most of my expressed milk. Today I sent 14 1/2 oz and she only drank 6-7 oz. I have had no plans to pump wean anytime soon. Do you think if I switched her to a straw cup maybe she would keep drinking more? If I do that how do you give it to her? Just let her tote it around and take sips as she wants...or offer at meal times?
    Or am I stressing about nothing and this all sounds normal..and the amount she is getting is enough?

Thanks to all you ladies we have had a very easy time with bf and your advice is always very helpful! I'm so glad to have made it to the year mark and I'm looking forward nursing until dd self weans. Thank you all!!

It's not uncommon for toddlers to start refusing expressed breast milk at some point, even as they happily continue nursing. You can absolutely try different types of containers for the EBM - perhaps if you want to try a straw cup, put in a couple oz and let her sip on that - but I wouldn't put too much in as there may be the potential for waste. Also keep in mind it's normal for a toddler to start backing down on the amount of milk she drinks as her solids intake picks up. Your LO is starting that process perhaps a little earlier than average but I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about it. My LO definitely had a marked decrease in her milk intake as she got closer to a year and then an even further decrease at around a year. But she was still nursing the same amount, it was just the expressed milk intake that went down. If toddlers are nursing between 3 and 5 times in 24 hours, they are getting their dairy needs met at the breast. It sounds like you are nursing that much as it is so I don't think you need to worry too much about how much expressed milk she is drinking.

If you find that your DD stays at the lower milk intake, you could start gradually backing down on the number of times of day you pump.

Bfwmomof3:
    Thanks for your advice. I bought a straw cup today and I plan on putting some EBM in it for her to try Monday. After I see how that goes if she is still not drinking it all then I will drop down to 3 pumps a day. I think I'm just worried that if I cut out so many pump sessions how will there be milk for her on days I'm off or the weekend when she nurses so much? Anyways I'm glad this all sounds like normal progression... its just hard to get used to the fact that she is growing up. This year has gone by so fast its definitely an adjustment for me.
    Thank you!!!
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmomma22813 View Post
    I think I'm just worried that if I cut out so many pump sessions how will there be milk for her on days I'm off or the weekend when she nurses so much?
    Remember that even when it feels like there's no milk in there, there is! You may find that your LO actually nurses more on the weekend to get all the milk she wants. A lot of working moms nursing toddlers find that LO nurses a lot on the weekends, they're more full early in the week, then it subsides to some extent over the course of the workweek, and then repeat. That's definitely my experience. In any case, it's usually prudent to take the pump weaning slowly, so there shouldn't be a dramatic drop - just a more gradual one.