Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excess lipase with 2nd baby?

Default Excess lipase with 2nd baby?

I have a 2 week old that is EBF. With my first baby, I had excess lipase and had to scald before freezing. I haven't started pumping with my daughter yet, but I destined to have the same problem or can it come and go? Just curious...I will test a bit of milk once I start pumping before I start freezing actual servings.
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Default Re: Excess lipase with 2nd baby?

I've heard that it can come and go, so hopefully it won't be an issue this time!
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Hi adb821

I, too had excess lipase with my son. I found this thread to be very helpful: http://breastfeedingbasics.info/lipa...ng-breast-milk.

One woman mentioned that drinking wine in the evenings helped with her 3rd child, but I can't speak to this myself.

I am no longer breastfeeding, but I am working on a research project studying high lipase in human breast milk. I am hoping to determine what specific concentrations of the enzyme cause the milk to "sour," as well as to determine what alternatives to scalding the milk might be used to inactivate the enzyme. This seems to be an area with sparse research--very few doctors have even heard about it.

I am looking for volunteers who are willing to donate/sell their milk for the project. If anyone is willing, please reply.

Well, refrigerated a little milk to test and looks like I'm destined to scald again. 24 hours it was fine, but this morning at 48 it tasted like spit up. looks like I'll be able to avoid scalding if it's for the next day, but I'll have to do it if I plan to freeze. Boo!!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Sorry, mama! Keep testing it- excess lipase can come and go and maybe you'll get lucky somewhere along the line...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've heard from my friends that it can come and go. I hope it's not a trouble anymore at this time.