Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help moms!

Default Help moms!

Hey there! I am in desperate need of some advice! I have a two month old daughter that I am breastfeeding. I work during the day and pump while I am at work. Yesterday I had a meeting out of town and somehow forgot to bring my breast pump with me. By the time I got home last night it had been 14 hours since I had nursed or pumped. I am so nervous that going all that time with out pumping or nursing is going to make it so I will not be able to produce enough milk for her now! Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Help moms!

Welcome to the forum!

First of all: DON'T PANIC. Milk supply is flexible, and if a day without expressing milk results in diminished supply, you can regain what you have lost by demanding more from your body. Nurse more and pump more, and your supply will rebound. This can be tricky when you're working, because not everyone can add extra pump sessions into their workday. If you can't make more time at work, you can still add in extra sessions at odd times- on your commute, for example, or in the middle of the night, or after nursing when you're home with your baby.

If you ever get into this situation again, hand-expression is always preferable to just filling up, even if it means you're going to send the milk down the sink or into a coffee cup. You also might want to look into getting a small travel pump- something that lives in your car or your briefcase and comes out in an emergency situation like what you just experienced. A manual pump might be enough to serve as insurance for the one time in a million that you leave your usual pump at home or in your desk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, I think you will be fine, just do lots of nursing this weekend. If you find your pump output is down in the coming week, add in some extra pumping if you can.

Thanks for the replies ladies! I have been trying to nurse her all day but she is getting very frustrated and acting like she isn't getting enough to eat so I have been giving her a bottle of formula after I try to nurse her and then attempting to pump. I am getting less than an ounce combined when usually I can get about 4-5 ounces out of each breast. Apparently the theory that your milk will not dry up in a day is not accurate. Has anyone ever tried Fenugreek? I'm desperate and willing to try anything!

For some moms with extremely responsive supplies, milk supply can diminish greatly in a day. But I'm still not convinced that your supply is now low. You were pumping 4-5 oz out of each breast, and that's not average supply. It's oversupply. A more typical amount to pump would be around 2-4 oz from both breasts, combined. You're now getting about a 1/2 oz from each breast, which is lower than you want it to be but still not too far off from what you need. If your baby nurses well, she should be able to get more from the breast than your pump can, and I'm thinking that 1-2 days of constant nursing could bump you back up to getting 2-4 oz at a time. But I wouldn't expect a return to making 8-10 oz at a time- your baby doesn't need that much and she's unlikely to nurse so much that you'd get back to that very high level of production.

Here's what I would do, in your shoes:
    1. Stop the formula supplements. Every time you give a bottle of formula after you nurse, you're short-circuiting the message your baby would have given by nursing more.
    2. Ignore the fussiness. Babies are often fussy when mom's supply goes from oversupply to more average supply. It doesn't mean that she's starving or that you have no milk. Just that getting it is frustrating for her right now. When mom has high supply, the milk comes out fast and easy. When her supply is closer to average, the baby has to work harder to get her meals, and that is going to make her fussy until she learns a new, more assertive nursing style.
    3. Watch her diaper output. As long as that is normal, there is no need to supplement.
    4. If you have a spare moment to pump- like if baby goes down for a nap or right after she falls asleep in the evening- throw in a nice long pump session. Every little bit of extra stimulation helps.
    5. Take Monday off? If you can, of course. What I think you need is a nursing vacation, in which you take the baby to bed and spend all day nursing and reconnecting. Let baby boost your supply and get used to having to work a little harder for her meals.
    6. Take some fenugreek. It can't hurt- unless you're diabetic- and may help. But when it comes to increasing supply, more nursing and more pumping are vastly more effective than any supplement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also keep in mind that how much you pump is going to be lower if you do so while nursing baby at the same time, as compared to when you are pumping at work instead of a nursing session.