Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: vitamin question

Default vitamin question

Hi all! My son is 13 months old tomorrow, and we have been doing baby led solids very successfully for several months now.
    My question is this: how long did you take prenatal vitamins while you were breastfeeding? I am planning to continue breastfeeding him until he weans himself. I have a very good diet. I just realized that I'll be out of vitamins soon, and wondered if i should get more or call it good. . Thanks!

Default Re: vitamin question

I think you'd have to decide based on your diet. Do you think you adequately cover most vitamins on a good day or week? I started forgetting to take mine a few months or so after my daughter was born. But around that time I was able to cook more and eat more like my pre-baby self. So I figured if I took them once or twice a week, that was probably sufficient.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

At 14 months, I've started cutting back. I still take them but not every day - a few times a week as I remember just to fill the gaps. I'd probably get more if I ran out, just because while we're not trying for another, we're not actively preventing either.

My DD's pediatrician and my obgyn recommended I continue to take the pre/post natal multivitamin for as long as I am breastfeeding, so that's what I'm doing (DD is 18 months) but I won't lie, I don't take it everyday.
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.