Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning a 20-month-old

Unhappy Weaning a 20-month-old

I'm a single mom to a very active, intense toddler. She's well established on solids and we're down to only one nursing session a day, first thing in the morning. I really enjoy this feed because it's the only time I get sleepy cuddles with my baby, plus it lets me get an extra 10-20 minutes of rest.

Unfortunately I'm taking two medications that are in a "grey area" as far as breastfeeding safety goes. I've scoured all the literature available and none of it indicates any big risks, however both medications do cross into milk and there's not enough data to say conclusively that low levels of exposure over longer periods of time won't be harmful.

I feel very guilty and anxious about the fact that I may be exposing my daughter to these substances and I think that the potential risks of continued breastfeeding really outweigh the benefits at this age. Consequently I think it's time to start weaning.

So... having said all of that, I guess I need some guidance as to what the next steps should be. Shortening her feed? Cutting it out cold turkey and trying to distract her?

My biggest concern is that this experience is going to be traumatic for my daughter. She LOVES breastfeeding and asks to do it all the time. She would nurse all day long if I let her. Has anyone gently weaned in a similar situation? How did it go? How long did it take for your child to adjust?

Default Re: Weaning a 20-month-old

Have you called Infant Risk? www.infantrisk.com Even if there is some of the medication crossing into the milk, you are nursing so little at this point it seems like your daughter would get very little exposure - the nice thing about the folks at Infant Risk is that they can take all that into account when counseling you.

I was also going to suggest calling Infant Risk.

If you decide that you need to wean, there's no one right way to go about it. I personally like the time limit approach, because I feel that it treads the middle path between cold turkey and totally giving in to the baby. And it can be playful- you can make it into a game where you count to ten and see if you can get your toddler to pop off at ten exactly. Or you nurse only for the duration of a song, and as soon as that one ends, your toddler gets to choose the next one you sing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've spoken with my own doctors about it and I've heard of Dr. Hale but I didn't realize there was a number I could call. I will do that today, thank you

I just spoke with a lady at the InfantRisk Center. Most of what she had to say I already knew but she did confirm that my doses are considered within the "safe" range and that the interval of time between taking the meds and nursing should be sufficient to have most of it cleared out of my system. So I'm still very conflicted! I think maybe I'll start doing a time limit and see how my daughter responds.

I'm glad you were able to talk to them. Are you feeling conflicted because you still want to nurse, but are worried about the meds? Or is it that you want to wean, but worry about doing so since your daughter is still attached to it?