Hi! I've done a lot of reading here, but thought I'd try to get a more specific answer to my current situation.
I'm a new mama to a happy, chunky-legged little guy who's 22 weeks old and currently 15# 5oz (as of last Friday). He was born at 9# 3oz, lost a few oz the first week, and then steadily gained until his gain slowed down as of his 4 month appointment, where my doc was concerned since his weight had gone from 92% to 78% and now is at 39%. (last 3 appts: 16 wk, 12 wk, 8 wk.
His Height is 26 1/2" at the at 89% (22 3/4" at birth, %ile stayed pretty similar), his head is 34% (also stayed consistent).
My doc recommends supplementing with 1-2 oz formula after each feed, as she said based on my pumped amounts after a pump-test (morning and evening, only 2 oz each time- but it was only after 2 hours since that's how often he eats). But she said he's not getting the 37 oz he needs per day. She also recommended pumping after each feeding to stimulate increase in my supply.
His diapers hadn't been soaking wet, though I did change him with wet and dirty diapers about 5 - 8 times per day. The fact that they weren't soaking, heavy, wet made me worry. I started the formula, and the diapers were more wet and he gained 7 oz in the last 2 weeks. However, I detest using formula.
Regarding my supply, I did notice a less full feeling and had reduced leaking when I started my period again in December, but it seems like it has since come back. I still don't leak like I did the first 3 months of his life.
Since I've started the extra pumping, I have sometimes just pumped and bottle fed him to see how much I can pump. I get about 4 oz in 3-4 hours.
My questions are:
- Should I just try EBF for the week and see if he gains?
- Should I do as my doc recommends and supplement and pump?
- Are some babies just leaner? He was big at birth, too, so maybe his body is just evening out?
- Are soggy, heavy diapers necessary, or how wet is GOOD wet?
- If he doesn't seem unhappy or hungry, and has good energy, chunky thighs, and is meeting milestones, can I just disregard these concerns?
- Should I keep pumping to increase supply, or can I trust my body will deliver what he needs?
- Is feeding every 2 hours normal at this age? He goes longer, sometimes even 3 - 4 hours, but often is eating every 2. My doc said that is too often and another sign he's not getting enough.
- I want to trust my instinct to just ignore the doctor on this one, but also worry maybe she's right.
Hope that's not overkill, but I wanted to be thorough.
Thanks for any guidance you can give!