Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old weight gain issues! Please help!

Default 10 month old weight gain issues! Please help!

Hi my 10 month old boy is in the 0% for his weight and I am at a loss as of what to do. He breastfeeds maybe 7 times a day and eats 3 to 4 very small meals a day. He was born really small with low birth weight and was in the 5%, he went up to the 13% at his 2 month well, but has been in the 0% since 5 months. I started him on solids at 5 months and began cosleeping hoping he would intake more milk that way, and I thought it was helping but he still is in the 0%. I don't think my supply is low because I've tried offering him a bottle of formula after breastfeeding but he won't take it, and he's had formula before when he was first born because my supply was low and came in late, and he also had it a few other times, so I know he'll take it if he's really hungry but he prefers breastmilk. I try to give him really fattening foods like banana, potato, sweet potato, avocado (not often though because it is very hard to come by good ones where I live), bread with butter, meats, pasta, mostly table foods and things that he can feed himself because it's hard to feed him with a spoon because he gets so easily distracted by it. But I need more ideas on what I should give him, he really likes blueberries and peas, both of which aren't fattening. And he barely eats anything, I try to make his meal times fun but he seems like he gets bored easily and becomes uninterested in his food quickly. My pediatrician told me it's too bad he doesn't like the formula that much and that when he's a year old we will try switching him over to whole milk, but I haven't even decided for sure if I will be weaning him at a year or if I'm going to breastfeed beyond a year. Does the fact that he isn't gaining enough weight imply that my breastmilk isn't fatty enough or doesn't have enough calories? I myself try to eat a healthy diet but I am by no means on a diet. Also I just recently started giving him coconut milk to drink with his meals, the kind from a can that you typically use for cooking, is this ok? I noticed that when babies have issues gaining weight they always suggest giving them something different to drink, i.e. formula, whole milk, etc, so I thought giving him something like the coconut milk which is really high in calories might help, even if it's just a little bit with his meals, but I want to know what other people think about this. He otherwise seems very happy and healthy and has a good amount of dirty diapers a day, usually pooping once a day, and the pediatrician always seems very impressed because he is so active and usually reaches his milestones early. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: 10 month old weight gain issues! Please help!

http://kellymom.com/health/growth/weight-gain_increase/

I'm making sure I have this right. He's gaining weight, he's just really low on the charts? Head circumference and length are also growing? Are you and his father also smaller people? Is the doctor using the WHO charts for breastfed babies, not the old CDC charts?
    If he's growing, I'd honestly not be worried. Someone has to be on the bottom of the charts. If all other signs are well, then maybe that's just his size. Breast milk has more fat in it than formula or whole milk. The push for other milks as supplements rather than exploring the possible issues with the breastfeeding relationship usually stems from the medical communities general ignorance relating to breastfeeding. Pumping and supplementing iwith your milk should be recommended first. Will he take bm in a cup or bottle? You could pump more than one bottle, skim the fat off of one bottle and add it to the other to double the fat content.

The drop in percentiles is normal btw. My son dropped over 30 percentiles at that age. He just had a lot more wiggle room than yours.
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; January 22nd, 2014 at 02:48 AM.

He IS gaining weight, just slowly, and isn't moving up on the charts. His head circumference is in the 22% and his height in the 5%. I am on the smaller side, and my husband is a little smaller than average maybe. I am 5'1" and 100lbs, my husband is 5'6" and I think he is about 150lbs. But I did ask both my parents and my in-laws if we were small babies and they both said yes but not that small. My dad told me I was in the 20 something percentile. They compared my son on both the US chart and on the worldwide chart, and I guess he is in the 0% in the US and in the 2% in the world. I don't know if those charts are comparable to the WHO and CDC charts. I've tried giving him bm in a cup but he spills most of it and so I don't usually give it to him because he waste a lot of it. I haven't tried actually giving him a bottle of bm in place of a breastfeeding, I've only offering it to him afterwards, should I maybe try doing that? I guess I haven't really tried it yet cause pumping is kind of a lot of work to me but I am willing to give it a try. If I were to skim the fat off of one bottle and add it to the other what should I do with the remaining breastmilk? I would hate to throw it away.

Since you and your husband are very much on the smaller end of the size/weight spectrum, I don't think it's surprising that your baby is, too. Sometimes small mom + small dad = extra small baby.

Until around a year, breastmilk is supposed to provide the baby's primary source of nutrition. It has more calories and provides more balanced nutrition than any other food you can offer him- and that includes formula. So instead of trying to get him to take a formula supplement or feed him more solids, how about trying to cram some extra nursing sessions into your day?

I very much agree with the PP that if you're going to supplement, ideally you'd supplement with breastmilk. You could do the double cream thing (i.e. skim the cream from one bottle into the next), reserving the skimmed portion for mixing with solids. It would be great for thinning out some oatmeal or mashed potatoes.

I totally understand why you're unwilling to pump. It's annoying and at 10 months, who wants to pick up the pump and start that again? No-one, that's who. Which is why I would try to nurse more first. If you decide you just can't face pumping, how about adding some extra fat to baby's food- coconut oil would be good, and so would olive oil. I personally would be a little leery of canned coconut cream, since cans are often lined with BPA (nice, right?). Other calorie-dense foods would include meats, beans, and whole-milk dairy products like yogurt, kefir, and cheese. At 10 months, your LO is too young for cow's milk, but he can have milk that has been made into yogurt or cheese because the processes involve break down the milk to a large extent.

Does baby get a daily multivitamin? And did the pediatrician test his iron at around 9 months?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I try to breastfeed him pretty much as often and as much as he will allow me but even breastfeeding him can be a struggle sometimes. Now that we have more of a regular schedule going though it has been much easier. I did not think about the BPA for the coconut milk yikes! Is there anything else you might suggest for me to give him to drink with his meals? I wasn't giving him anything to drink with his meals at first because I didn't want him to fill up on empty calories but then he started to get constipated, so then I started giving him a little bit of water but my pediatrician advised against giving him water because she said that it won't really do anything for him so I started giving him juice instead but the juice seems high in sugar and low in fat so I wanted to try something else other than water, juice, breastmilk, or cows milk, any suggestions for something to put in his cup? I have tried adding in coconut oil into his diet more, I've actually been just giving him a bit on a spoon with some blueberries with every meal. It's not much though and he only takes it if it has blueberries.

I actually don't give him a multivitamin since I still take one but I do give him vitamin D drops which I just recently started about 3 weeks ago. My pediatrician never did an iron test, would that indicate anything?

And also, he doesn't have any teeth yet and my pediatrician said that it may because he's so small.

If I were concerned about my child's weight, and I was going to give him something to drink with his meals, here's how I would rank my beverage choices:
    1. Breastmilk. Nurse right before he eats, and also offer some expressed milk (double cream if possible) in a sippy or bottle during the meal.
    2. Formula. Closer in composition to breastmilk than anything else.
    3. Coconut milk from a glass container- no BPA issue that way- or whole milk yogurt smoothies or kefir.
    IDK if everyone would make the same ranking- hopefully someone else will weigh in!

Most pediatricians do routine tests for iron at around 6-9 months. Iron deficiency is not uncommon and can lead to slower growth. I'd be particularly curious about it because your baby was born small; IIRC, iron deficiency is more common in babies who were small for gestational age than those who are average size or large. Also, if your baby happened to be premature, that would also put him at higher risk for iron deficiency, since iron stores are not complete until term. If he were mine, I'd ask the pediatrician for an iron test- and also lead, especially if you're in an apartment or older house. Since your doc didn't test for iron, I'm assuming she also didn't do lead? I'd also throw a multivitamin into the mix. Again, it can't hurt, might help.

There are a lot of potential causes for slow teething, and small size/slow growth/nutritional deficiency are among them, but the most likely is that your baby is just genetically programmed to get his teeth later than average. Check your baby book and your husband's baby book (or your mom and MIL's memories)- slow teething is often inherited from mom and dad.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At that age I would not give formula but I am more pro real food vs formula than most people. Full fat yogurt and cheese, drizzling olive oil on your sweet potatoes and potatoes and whatever other veggie. For drinks I agree with full fat yogurt smoothies or another full fat milk. I would sooner give full fat animal milk at 10 mos than formula, especially when they are eating a variety of solids.

The teeth argument doesn't make sense. My chubby niece has no teeth at 15 mos. I think it's genetic like Mommal mentioned.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Do you happen to know how they test for iron? Is it a blood test >_<. He wasn't premature but was born with low birth weight at 5.5lbs and before I was pregnant I had low iron, I don't think I have low iron any more because of the multivitamin I am taking, which is why I'm not giving my son a multivitamin because I figured he would get the vitamins from my breastmilk. I will definitely try drizzling olive oil on more of his veggies too! Any suggestions for fruit? I don't think it would be very tasty to put oil on his fruit lol.
    Last edited by @llli*sarahannew101; January 27th, 2014 at 07:00 AM.

Mix fruit with high fat smooth cheese? like cream cheese?
    My babies were premature and I know you said yours wasn't but I do supp. them with vitamin D + iron.
    Iron they take a few drops of blood. I think it's routine to take it at 12 mos, at least that's what my doctor's office does.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.