Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I bet this has asked before...

Default I bet this has asked before...

but is it bad for your calcium levels to nurse after your baby is 1? My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and my mother in law keeps saying my calcium is probably bad and she hopes I don't lose my teeth. She is freaking me out!!!

Default Re: I bet this has asked before...

I've never heard that. I would assume that if you are getting the recommended calcium intake then you should be good. You could always see if your doc can do a test for it if you are concerned. But I wouldn't worry about it. I never got the calcium I needed because I don't like milk... If you are worried about it drink some more milk, or add in some calcium rich snacks. I don't think you can over do it on calcium, unless maybe if you take supplements. (I'm not a medical professional, this is just my opinion)

Good luck
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Sigh There's a thread on here about the crazy stuff people say to breast feeding moms. I'm pretty sure tooth loss is on it already. You're fine. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium/
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; January 22nd, 2014 at 03:00 AM.

Myth.

The old wive's tale is "every baby costs mom a tooth" or something like that. It comes from a time when people lost teeth all the time, due to poor hygiene and bad dentistry or no dentistry. If you take good care of your teeth, there's no reason to think that breastfeeding will affect yours at all.

Silly MIL. Give her a hug and a new tube of denture cream.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is actually an area of active medical research. During pregnancy and lactation, there are a bunch of physiological changes that occur in mom to ensure that baby gets the calcium she needs to grow and mineralize her skeleton. Some of the calcium gets mobilized from mom's bones, so bone mineral density (which roughly correlates with bone strength, though it's a little more complicated than that) does tend to go down initially. However, long-term bone mineral density may be GREATER in moms who have breastfed their babies. Bottom line, you can tell your MIL nursing is good for your bones!

Whew!! Thanks so much all of you.. I think my calcium is good, (now, my iron, that may be another story), I eat lots of yogurt, cheese, drink milk, etc. I will tell her the TRUTH next time she says something!! Thanks again!