Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Washable nursing/breast pads

Default Washable nursing/breast pads

I had trouble with leaking until DD3 was about 1yr. I'm due with LO #4 in July and I want to start getting little things here and there so I'm not going out and getting everything at once. I had to buy a box of the nursing pads at least every pay day and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the washable/reusable pads..?

I was sensitive for the first few months with DD3 and used the ointment with my pads, sometimes I felt like I was sticking to them. But I hated the feeling of wet clothes, its one of my pet peeves.

Thanks!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Washable nursing/breast pads

I have washable pads and they work just the same as disposables... Not much different except that they don't make the crinkly noise when you move. I prefer to use the washables when out in public for that reason.
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

I used both. I found the disposable to be more absorbent, but the reusable was more comfortable and didn't shift as much (I see now that some disposable have sticky backs, but I didn't buy that kind). You might find that reusable is more breathable and may reduce your need for ointment, too.

In order to avoid having to buy a dozen pair of reusable (because I would sometimes have to swap them out a couple times a day) I would take the reusable pads with me in the shower and wash them by hand with unscented body soap and lay them out to dry. Seeing as you will have 4 kids, you probably always have laundry to be done, so that might not be an issue for you.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I also found the cloth pads to be somewhat less absorbent than the disposables, but way more comfortable and breathable. Also, because they were reusable I ended up changing them a lot more often than I did when I used disposables, since I wasn't thinking "Oh gosh, if I change this disposable pad now it's another $0.20 down the drain, and the box is running low- I'd better get some more use out of it before I toss it". That meant less stickiness and ickiness.

I found that some of the reusable pads (and I have about 5 different kinds) were more visible through my shirt and bra than disposables. So depending on what I was wearing, I'd prefer the disposables for going out. My favorite ones are made of hemp and are pretty absorbent, but definitely the most noticeable ones so I tended to wear them at home more than out.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Thanks Everyone! I will definitely look into a some reusable pads! The tape on the back of the disposable pads always got stuck together and bunched up on me so I never took the backs off lol But was always shifting them
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

I agree with PP. Also, I made my own reusable pads. It was super cheap, but the cutting out part was a little time consuming. The good part is that you can customize the thickness for your needed absorbancy. I bought a soft white flannel and also puchased half a yard of white PUL. I used about 4 layers of the flannel and then a layer of PUL on the top. I put the layers together and then sewed the outside edges. THere are lots of tutorials on it out there. I made mine faily big, but if I were to make more, I would make them almost the size of my bra cup. That would help hide them a little as another poster mentioned you can see them through your shirt at times. HTH!!
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

I LOVE using washable nursing pads. I just wanted to throw in a good word about Bamboobies - I've tried several different brand and they're my favorite by far. they're the only ones I've never leaked through, and somehow they're also the thinnest (so they don't show through a shirt!). Plus, they just look cute. I'm not embarrassed if someone accidentally sees it in public, because they probably won't even realize what it is. They're a bit more pricey than some other brands, but in my opinion WAY worth the money. I've actually save a ton because I never have to buy disposables. You can get them online (amazon or buybamboobies.com), or I think Babies R Us carries them now.