Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 month old not drinking milk at daycare

Default 12 month old not drinking milk at daycare

My son just turned 1 a few weeks ago. I work full time and he has been in daycare since he was 3 months old. He's been drinking EBM from bottles without any issue. At around 11 months we started to transition him to a sippy cup and also started very slowly transitioning him over whole dairy milk during the day. I still plan to nurse him as long as he wants when we are together. He had been taking sippy cups consistently and was drinking almost 100% dairy milk during the day. Then Christmas came and my husband tried to give him a sippy of milk while I was working and he refused the cup. We didn't think much of it but when we went back to daycare after about a week and a half of being home he had no interest in drinking milk during the day. He eats a lot of solid foods and he'll drink a little milk but not much during the day. He has a renewed interest in nursing as soon as we get home at night. There are a couple other issues, he had a stomach bug and some issues with his care provider that popped up right at the same time. We have since found a new care provider that I think will be much more nurturing. I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this. Do I just keep sending milk during the day and hope this is just a phase?

Default Re: 12 month old not drinking milk at daycare

My 14 month old is actually just now starting to have days here and there where she refuses expressed milk during the day while I am working. She is a voracious solids eater, happily drinks water with her meals out of a straw cup, and nurses very frequently when I am home. From what I have heard from others, it's not all that uncommon for toddlers to start refusing expressed milk and just stick with what comes "straight from the tap," as it were!

I think that as long as your toddler is nursing at least 3-5 times over a 24 hour period, he is meeting his dairy needs. What you do is up to you with respect to sending milk; in my shoes, I'd probably send it as a back up until you are certain he doesn't actually want to drink it during the day. Especially since there's a stomach bug in the mix, that might be altering his normal intake preferences. But it sounds like he's eating well, and otherwise nursing well, so I would not personally be too concerned.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Default Re: 12 month old not drinking milk at daycare

Perfectly fine for LO to drink water during the day and milk from you at night, assuming you are in that 3-5 nursing sessions/24 hours window. And if not, you can also use cheese or yogurt or even non-dairy foods to make up the difference. (Kelly mom has good info on non-dairy sources of calcium and vit D). Also, keep in mind tastes change over time - my baby had no interest in cow's milk at a year, but over time got more interested in it. When we're together she'll still nurse rather than drink cow's milk, but she will now drink cow's milk during the day when I'm at work. It's also common for toddlers to start rejecting EBM even when they've had it perfectly fine earlier on.