Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden soft breasts!

Default Sudden soft breasts!

The weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. At work I normally pump two times, each time yielding about 5 ounces, totalling 10 ounces. Yesterday I pumped 8 ounces the first time, and 5.5 ounces the second time, totalling 13.5! I was like woah! Then when I got home I noticed my breasts were soooo soft. Is that normal? I feel like there's nothing inside there. Also, I would normally feel a strong sensation during letdown, but since I got home I just feel a minor prickliness, if at all. Is my baby getting enough? I'm so worried that my breasts just dried up or something. The only other time I had such soft breasts was after a bout of stomach flu and I'm sure it was a temporary low supply then. But now I'm fine and nothing is wrong with me (at least that I know of!) and I'm not pregnant, no period, etc.

I know breasts are supposed to regulate and feel soft eventually, but that doesn't happen over the course of a few hours, does it?!

My baby is 13 weeks old, weighs about 13 lbs., feeds two times in the early AM/morning hours, gets two pumped bottles during the daytime, then nurses another three times before bedtime. He has a normal amount of wet/dirty diapers.

Default Re: Sudden soft breasts!

Don't worry about it. Your breasts don't operate on a clockwork schedule. They're more artistic. Sometimes they cook up a huge batch of milk, sometimes they relax a little. And eventually, they're going to get the message to make pretty much what your baby takes, and not a lot more. When that happens, you can expect to feel soft pretty much all the time, and you can also expect a diminished or even vanished letdown sensation.

Any concerns, just watch the baby and the baby's diaper output. As long as that's normal, so is your milk supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

"just watch the baby and the baby's diaper output."

What do you mean by "the baby"? If he looks happy and behaving ok? Because he didn't have that content Ahhhhh bliss kind of look after any of the feedings last night.

Yes. Watch his behavior at the breast and afterwards. You want to hear him swallowing when he nurses. When he's finished, he doesn't need to be passed out in a "milk coma" to be well fed. Just generally happy.

One thing to watch out for, with a baby who gets a lot of bottles due to mom's work, is the baby acting "unsatisfied" after nursing. It's usually not that mom doesn't have enough milk. Rather, it's that the baby spent all day feeding from a bottle, and getting used to the fast, uniform flow and easy rewards of bottle feeding. Once he's back at the breast, he's like " Hey, what's going on? This thing doesn't deliver the same way the bottle does. Wah!" If that behavior is becoming part of your reality, the best thing you can do is to continue to put the baby back to the breast. Don't fall into the "I'll just top him up with a bottle this one time" trap.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So usually he does suck/suck/swallow or suck/swallow when he eats nicely. But last night he only did the suck/suck/suck/suck/swallow kind of slow eating. Swallowing less quickly than normal. Can't be he wasn't hungry after 4 hours!

I never give bottles when he's with me. He only gets them at the babysitter.