Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milk supply drop after returning to work

Default Re: Milk supply drop after returning to work

The two things that come to mind for the difficult let down are stress, as we talked about earlier in the thread, or some problem with the pump. What kind of pump are you using? Have you changed out membranes/valves/flanges?

I have a medela pump in style. I haven't changed anything since the first week of work. It seems to work fine during the day, which is why I am wondering what's going on. The amount I pump seems to be pretty consistent. But, I'll take a look at everything this weekend and see if swapping parts makes a difference. Thanks!

Oh, I see - you're pumping fine during the day but not at night? Are you pumping right after you feed baby?

I tried pumping right after feeding her, when she wouldn't really nurse, and that's when the let down wasn't happening when I pumped. Over the weekend I tried just pumping once around 2 a.m. after replacing pump parts and also using a larger breast shield. My milk let down fine that time, so maybe it was the pump parts. I am starting to notice a trend now, that my milk supply seems to be lower on the weekends---So even though I am pumping about the same amount as my baby eats, I probably don't get enough stimulation. I also think the stress build over the week and affects my supply. So, my goal this week is to try to relax more! It's frustrating trying to nurse all day but not having "enough".

My baby is waking up during the night now---I think she's teething and her sleep is changing (she's 5.5 months old), so I've been nursing 1-2 times per night. Hopefully that will help.

I think it will! And figuring out how to relax is always a good thing

I don't understand though why you think your milk supply is lower on the weekends?

My baby seems fussy when she's nursing as the day goes on. I guess that might not just mean low milk, but that's what comes to mind. When I let down, it seems again like she's only swallowing for a minute and then stops, even though she continues to suck. I noticed though that when I pump I seem to have 2 let downs. Maybe I don't get to the 2nd one with her because she gets so fussy. Everythings so connected! It's hard to solve the puzzle.

Babies tend to get fussy as the day goes on - I've always felt like my kids are fussiest in the evening. Milk supply does tend to be greatest in the morning so maybe that's part of it, but if she's only swallowing for a minute and then stops but continues to suck, it sounds like she is saying that she is getting the milk she needs but she just wants the comfort of the breast to help her deal with the evening fussies. You may not get the second letdown with her at the breast because she's getting what she needs with just one.

If I may make a suggestion - one of the beauties of breastfeeding is that you don't really need to overthink it. Offer the breast as often and for as long as baby likes, and she will do the rest. If she's hungry, she'll nurse; if she wants comfort, she'll nurse; and if you're not trying to stretch out feedings or schedule her in some way, she will get enough. Pumping at work does require a little more thought and planning, precisely because you don't have baby naturally regulating things. But baby being fussy, baby nursing for x or y minutes - none of that says anything about your supply or baby's satisfaction.

Thank you for that suggestion. I really have been overthinking it, and probably because I'm pumping and can see what I am actually producing, therefore making me question it. Since the last time I posted, I feel like I've relaxed about it more and I have felt like there have been fewer "issues". I appreciate the support!

That's good to hear, thanks for the update!