Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you finish first breast first with a "snacker"?

Default How do you finish first breast first with a "snacker"?

Yes this is my third post in two weeks- I must be going for some record! Thank you all for your support so far!

I may have corrected my OALD and oversupply with lay back nursing and block nursing and do not want to get back in that situation again! I feel like my oversupply was exacerbated by switching sides frequently. Therefore I am trying to "finish the first breast first"- but I have a snacker baby. He eats for 10 minutes, then sleeps, then wants to eat 30 min later, then onto another activity, then snack again. Never on the breast a long time. He does empty me after a few feedings but I'm afraid of diminishing my supply too much from offering the same breast too much for snacks. I also really want I make sure he gets the hind milk (a problem we were also having when I was way oversupplied).

So can someone tell me how to finish the first breast first and which one to offer in between full meals?

Thanks again!!!!

Default Re: How do you finish first breast first with a "snacker"?

You're not the record holder! Post as much as you want, okay? That's what we're all here for.

Are you still block feeding? And how do you feel about your supply at this point?

I think that if your baby wants to eat very soon after finishing the first breast- let's call it "breast A"- then you offer breast A again, but you stay prepared to offer breast B if baby comes off of A still acting hungry. That will ensure that he gets milk from A when it's pretty empty, and an emptier breast produces fattier milk (so-called hindmilk). But breast B is still there to sate his hunger if A isn't enough for him.

Lease don't worry too much about the hindmilk/foremilk thing. A lot of moms get concerned that if their babies don't get the so-called hindmilk, they're not getting some vital nutrient (fat is usually what people are worried about). But all milk, both foremilk and hindmilk, contains fat and has everything a baby needs to grow and develop. A baby will grow well- sometimes exceptionally well- on a diet of so-called foremilk alone, provided she gets enough of it. Quantity of milk, not quality, is what matters to infant growth. A baby who gets a lot of foremilk may be gassier than average and have some green poops, but these aren't health concerns- just annoyances.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I mentioned on a post before- I have to pump for a two day a week job and last Thursday I pumped 12 oz in 10 minutes. This morning I pumped 6oz in 10 minutes... More reasonable supply for feeding a 6week old. I do not want to block nurse any further for fear if losing too much- do you agree?

Since block nursing worked SO well, I'm a little nervous that if I start nursing "wrong" again, I will have too much or too little. I know it's not supposed to be this complicated!!!

I agree with Mommal. I suggest Try not to overthink it too much and go by how your breasts feel And how your baby cues. also want to point out that what you are describing your baby doing is actually a perfectly normal Nursing Pattern that's how young babies (And Quite a few older babies) nurse, Typically, Especially if there is abundant Milk production. It's the babies that eat every three hours like clockwork that are outside the norm. Babies are smart they 'know' that frequent feeding will help a great deal with any Possible foremilk hindmilk issues-When a mom has abundant production frequent feeding helps Correct the problem. Or a more accurate way to put it Would be that nursing too infrequently Creates or exacerbates any possible foremilk/hindmilk problem.

6 oz in 10 minutes is still quite abundant for a 6 week old baby. But since you're working, albeit just 2 days a week, I agree that it's probably to your benefit to not block nurse much more than you already have- just trust the baby to set your supply by nursing. And as LLLMeg said, nurse frequently- it will help with any possible issues.

Oversupply can come and go for a while, even when you think you have it completely controlled. So don't be too shocked if you sometimes have more milk than you need. Fluctuations in oversupply are very normal and not always under your control.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

mommal!!! You were right, oversupply strikes again I had it working for a few day and then I'm full again and have a fussy baby are some women's supplies just temperamental or am I doing something to cause this so soon?! Should I block nurse again? It worked before...

I think some women just have temperamental milk supplies, especially early on when the body is in supercharged, hormone-driven mode. I found that some days I had too much milk, even after I thought block feeding had taken care of the problem. It wasn't that I had done anything differently!

That being said, since you're pumping I think you want to be careful with the pump. Don't empty yourself out completely when you pump. Stop after you have enough for baby's needs. Perhaps 3-4 oz at a time, max.

I'm sure you guys get asked this all of the time, but if I only pump out 2-3 oz, won't it be loaded with "foremilk"... Thus making him gassy when he is fed that in my absence? If this is a silly question, please just hang in there with me and reply gently someday I'll have the hang of this (again)!

Yes, if you're making 6 oz and you only express 2-3 oz, the bottle will be loaded with the so-called foremilk. Lower in fat (but not non-fat!) and higher in lactose. But I wouldn't worry that a few bottles of lactose-enriched milk will turn him into a burp and toot machine.