Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stops feeding after choking/should I pump the other breast

Default Stops feeding after choking/should I pump the other breast

Hello Everyone,
    New hear to LLLI and it feels so good to have breastfeeding support. My little one and I have had a bumpy road when it comes to breastfeeding. When he's hungry he will go on fine and suck actively for about 3-5 minutes, and then if he chokes on my milk, or gets fussy from gas pains, he'll come off the breast. I'll put him chest to chest to burp him and try and put him back on but he will not go back on. I know he is not full, but takes an hour to burp him in the midst of trying to get him back on again. Are there any tips out there to get him to come back on?. Also since his feedings are short and he doesn't get to the other breast, should I pump the other breast to maintain milk supply, or should I just leave it and offer it at the next feeding? I'm at a loss of what to do here. Any comments will be so helpful!

Default Re: Stops feeding after choking/should I pump the other brea

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Some questions for you:
    - How old is your baby?
    - How is his weight gain?
    - How many times per day does the baby nurse?
    - Any signs of high supply in you? (This would be things like frequent feelings of engorgement or fullness, seeing milk spray or stream from the breast when baby pulls off, lots of leaking, ability to pump a lot of milk very quickly, if you are pumping.)

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions, but the answers will tell us how best to answer your concerns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby is 5 weeks old, with great weight gain. 6 lbs at birth, now 8 lbs 15 oz. baby nurses every 2-3 hours and I do have signs of high supply.

Okay, since you have some high supply signs and are just 5 weeks into the whole breastfeeding thing, I think you want to avoid pumping for now. Pumping in addition to nursing, and thoroughly emptying both breasts every time, tells your body "Hey, remember all that milk you just made? You need to make that all over again!" Moms who get caught up in pumping often get stuck in a vicious cycle of pumping to empty the breast, making even more milk as a result, and pumping even more the next time, etc. If you just let the baby to manage your supply by nursing, sometimes leaving significant milk sitting in the breast, your body will adjust production to match baby's needs a lot more accurately.

Don't worry that not pumping will make you lose your milk. One of the beautiful things about breastfeeding is that supply is very flexible. If the baby needs less milk than you're making, he leaves milk in the breast and your body reacts by reducing supply. If he needs more than you're making, he nurses more frequently and drains the breast more thoroughly each time, resulting in increased supply.

When a mom has oversupply, her baby is likely to feed quickly and gain weight quickly. On the negative side, he's also likely to struggle with rapid milk flow and may be a fussy nurser.

If I were in your shoes, here's what I would do:
    - If the baby wants to nurse for just 2-3 minutes, let him. Instead of spending the next hour trying to coax him back to the breast, just cuddle him up in a sling or let him nap if that's what he wants. When he's hungry again, he'll let you know.
    - Make your peace with frequent feedings, if the baby cues frequently. Feeding the baby often is great for oversupply, because short intervals means that the breast doesn't get as full between feedings, and that means slower letdowns and less struggle for the baby.
    - Don't worry about burping. If the baby takes an hour to produce a burp, he's probably not that in need of it. In my experience, breastfed babies need less burping than bottle-fed ones. I personally never bothered to burp my kids.
    - Use reclined nursing positions. Reclining enlists gravity to slow milk flow to the baby, and it can make nursing a lot more comfortable for him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you thank you thank you for all the information you gave me. I've been searching for an answer and I love all the things that you said. Thanks again!