Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back and forth and back and forth

Default Back and forth and back and forth

My baby is now 2 months old (1 month adjusted) & doing great thanks in large part to the awesome support I've gotten here! Yay! We had her baby naming this past weekend, and she nursed through most of it.
    Now I'm wondering when/if things become more "efficient". She's still going back & forth twice (we call it "taking 4 boobs" around here). I let her finish each breast fully, but I don't have an over-abundant supply, and she keeps coming back wanting more. It takes about an hour for her to finish (in fact she rarely seems completely sated, I just usually stop nursing her after 4 boobs worth) and she nurses about every 2 hours. This is really fine & totally worth it if this is just how she rolls, but...in your collective experience, might this speed up as she gets older? Please say yes.

(A funny little story as an aside: my friend's four-year-old saw me pull-up my shirt to nurse, and she did a double take. She asked "what are you doing?" I said "feeding the baby." She said that when she was a baby she ate a bottle; I said that some babies eat from a bottle and some babies eat from their mommies. She seems satisfied with that answer. Later in the day my friend caught her hitching up her shirt to feed her baby doll. She was feeding her baby doll from her belly button, but she pretty much had the right idea. My friend was aghast, but I thought it was hilarious.)

Default Re: Back and forth and back and forth

I think that the "when" questions are the hardest breastfeeding questions to answer. Every woman, every baby, every nursing experience is unique. Your baby could get more efficient tomorrow, or not for a few months. Satisfying answer, right? But she will eventually get more efficient at nursing, and also more interested in things other than nursing. My first baby took an hour to nurse for the first 4 months or so. But then all of a sudden she discovered her own toes, and would nurse quickly so she could get back to the whole trying-to-catch-her-own-toes thing.

Cute story about your friend's daughter! I also used to nurse my dolls from my belly button- and that was when my mom was nursing my baby brother! The belly button seemed a much more likely source of doll nutrition than my insignificant-looking 4 year-old nipples.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't give you a when, but I can assure you that it will happen at some point that baby will become more efficient! My daughter did the whole "taking 4 boobs" thing (only in our case, I think it was more like taking 6-8 boobs!) for the first 4 months, too.

Somehow, by month 6, feeds only lasted about 2 minutes! Nursing still happened with very high frequency, but instead of feeds taking an hour or more, and blending one right into the next one, I started to reqularly get 30-45 minute stretches where baby wanted to play!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thanks sonogirl. I hope you're right and that feedings get faster at some point. I think that's already happening a little bit, but maybe I'm just imagining things. Or maybe I'm just thinking about things differently. Instead of one hour-long feeding it's two 30-minute feedings back to back!