Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trying desperately to build my supply!

Default Re: trying desperately to build my supply!

Hang in there It sounds like you're doing everything you can.
    I went through the whole roller coaster ride of the fenugreek, extra pumping, etc. because I believed my supply was low. It has taken me this long (my lo is 9wks) to finally stop fretting and trust my body and my baby and he's thriving
    Part of my problem was that I sort of used the formula as a crutch. Like if he was fussing, I felt horrible and assumed that he must be hungry so I would give him a bottle. Plus, he hadn't gained much weight at first. But I decided to just ditch the formula and give bfing exclusively a try. Even if that meant leaving him at the breast for an hour, even after he had just nursed 30 minutes before. It has been trying at times but we've made it, and I have a feeling you're going to do fine. You are very determined and you're working very hard. It does get easier! Hang in there!

One thing that I used when wanting to build my supply was the Oragnic Mother's Milk Tea. It has some of the same properties as the supplement that you are taking but for some reason it worked better for me. I also found that the more I stressed the less I could pump out. My mom sat me down and said I needed to relax, have a bit of wine or beer or something and that this can also help with letdown. Don't get too rip roaring out of control, of course, but just something to help me relax a bit. Good luck, I know it's frustrating but stay positive!

Gosh, I can sense your frustrations, and I'm sure that you are trying your best to remove the supplement, as you feel she is not tolerating it well.

Were you able to look into the SNS as Tiana mentioned? (Tiana has been away from her computer for a few days, that is why she has not posted.)

I think it might be beneficial to have her evaluated further by someone who can see what is going on with her suck. It is so difficult for us to say why she seems to not be getting enough. Often this can be the sign of a shallow latch or improper suck. Maybe you could call the local LLL Leader back and see if she knows of any IBCLCs in your area who could evaluate the situation for you.

Have you discussed slowly eliminating the supplement with the ped? What did he say? Did you voice your concerns about her getting back to only BM? As Tiana said, she may need it just a little longer, but maybe things will turn around soon. You are trying so hard! Hang in there.

this is day 3 and it seems to be working she is not nursing all day like the other two days my breast seem fuller and she is taking naps short ones but at least a small break...for me...she seems content and is wetting more today than the other two days....no bm yet today still wainting on that and my husband purchased the sns already but we wanted to try to eliminate it first if this doesnt work we will switch to this....she seems very content and hearing lots of gulping.....

AWESOME! You are doing a most excellent job, mama! Kudos to you for your strength and determination ... all powered by your awesome love for your little one!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

That`s GREAT!!!!! It should be uphill from here.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

she hasnt had a bm yet but 7 wets in 23 hours...thats good right...???
    should i be concerned about the bm yet?

I wouldn't be overly concerned if she hasn't had a bm. 7 wets is great!!! Awesome job mama! Pat yourself on the back!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Just echoing the previous post. Exclusively breastfed babies can go up to a week and longer without a bowel movement, and be totally normal.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

You sound like you are doing GREAT!!!

Yes, as the PP stated, I wouldn't be concerned about the BM yet, as older exclusively BF babies can go days or longer without a BM.

Keep up the awesome work!