Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying desperately to build my supply!

Unhappy trying desperately to build my supply!

so for about 4 days i have been takin funnegreek 3 times a day 3pills.....and pumping 15min after every feeding and somtimes once in between feedings...only once did i get 1oz during a pump ususally 1/2oz or less....and my daughter eighther drops off the breast and falls asleep and will still be hungry and can eat about 2oz or a bit more every feeding....or she fusses so much that i am assuming she is mad that it is empty or cant get enough....one lactation consultant i talked with said that she may be to weak to get all my milk...she is almost 7wks and is 6lbs 11oz as of today....
    she was 4lbs 12.5oz at birth...and lost weight so we are at the point of supplementing w/formula wish makes her spit up more and we hate it.....so could that be what is happening she is to weak?
    i dont know what to do?
    all i know is i am so frustrated and want her off formula for sure.
    this is the most recent routine we are trying to help build my supply!
    i also read somewhere that emergency c-section moms have more
    problems with milk supply than others is this true do you think?
    this is what happened to me so that is why i am wondering.....
    and when do i know if i should get a prescription for something
    to increase my supply?

PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: trying desperately to build my supply!

Hi kaya's mom,

I read what DJ's mom posted to you in your other thread, and she's right on . Switch nursing (going back and forth from side to side until she's satisfied) and taking baby to bed with you for a day (or a few!) are great ways to build your milk supply.

Breastfeeding after an emergency c-section can sometimes be more challenging due to the anesthesia and pain medications necessary, as well as the seperation that often occurs during the recovery period. However, an emergency c-section does not doom your breastfeeding relationship to failure. Many moms who have emergency c-sections go on to breastfeed successfully. In fact, breastfeeding often makes life easier for a mom recovering from a c-section. Try your best to focus on taking care of yourself and your baby during this time. Do you have help from family or friends in regards to housework, meals, etc?

Oh, and in regard to pumping, it may comfort you to know that babies are much better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. There is a good chance that your daughter is getting a lot more milk when she nurses directly.

If she is spitting up more after you feed her formula, it is likely that her digestive system is not handling it well. Many babies are allergic, or at least sensitive to, dairy and soy...the most common ingredients in formulas. Did your LC advise you to supplement?

Sorry so many questions. I HTH.

Hang in there!

Tiana

our pediatritian recommended we supplement....but another question i have is if i switch feed back and forth...iv tried and after a while she starts fussing and crying like shes pissed off....so i just assume at that point that she couldnt get any more and finish her off w/formula....what to do about this

she might start to get frustrated w/ having to work so hard after a while. but get her to take as much as she can.

try stopping for a few mins, burp, change, etc. then try again and see if she's still hungry.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Have you tried an SNS? If after nursing for a long period of time on both sides, she still seems unsatisfied to the point of being PO'd, she is probably not ready to completely ditch the suppliment. That isn't the end of the world, and doesn't mean that you need to give it to her in a bottle. If you could use an SNS to give her the suppliment at the end of the feeding, she will get the additional calories she needs and your breasts will still get the stimulation that they need. You can then cut back on the amount of suppliment you are giving her gradually, as your milk supply increases.

The best way to judge whether or not baby is getting enough to eat is to keep track of "diaper output". Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) per day and 2-5 bms. If diaper output is good, you can trust that all is well and continue to decrease the amount you are supplimenting.

Keep up the good work, mama! You can do it!

Tiana

i have been in bed w/her 4 day 2 today just nursing constantly & her diaper output has decteased as of today im thinking supplementing im getting worried 1bm &2wets 2day ??????
    what should i so????

I have heard that skin on skin can do wonders for you and your baby. Maybe while you are spending time in bed you can go shirtless and keep baby in just a diaper and keep warm with the covers.

Its sounds like you are a very determined mommy, I applaud your efforts and encourage you to keep up all your hard work, it will pay off in the end!!!

First of all, her weight gain is within the average range of 4-7 oz. per week as suggested in the BAB (LLL). She has gained about 2 lbs. in 7 weeks, which comes out to about 4.5 oz. per week. So far, so good.

Have you been supplementing as per your ped's request?

You mentioned seeing an LC. Do you know if she was an IBCLC? Do you have a local LLL Leader who might be willing to work with you in person? This could be very helpful. I am interested in hearing if anyone has evaluated her suck.

What type of pump are you using?

(Sorry if you have answered all of this before! I should go back and check.)

Rememer to count wet and dirty diapers for 24 hours. So you still have some time to go to see if she has more to come out yet!

Hang in there!

i dont know if the lc is that....and i talked to a lll woman over the phone and no one has evaluated her suck....yes our ped had us supplement her cause she was born at 38 weeks and only weighed 4lbs 12.5oz and after her 4 days stay in nicu she dropped to 4lbs 7oz. and was having probs gaining once we brought her home so that is why he said we should supplement her....it has helped but i am sick of her getting spitt upy w/formula and all the bottles are horrible and she seems really gassy as well....i just want to get her to bf only....so that is why i am going to this....

Hi Kaya's momma! You sound frustrated and exhausted, but determined. That determination will get you through this.
    Can you describe what your lo's latch looks like?

I was that LLL Tiana mentioned the SNS (supplemental nursing system). Are you familiar with this?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi