Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night nursing 13 month old, confused...

Default Night nursing 13 month old, confused...

My daughter is 13 months old. She has never slept very well, or at least long stretches. She also is very sporadic with solids. One day she'll eat some fruit and reject every other thing put in front of her. On these days she wants to nurse all night long and the next day she seems so tired and cranky. This has been going on for a while, and I do think the lack of eating and nursing at night seem related.

Then she'll eat a huge dinner and sleep very restfully, as in she doesn't wake up crying 15 times. Again, this has happened on many occasions, so it's hard not to think these things are related.

Are most other young nursing toddlers doing the same thing? I'm guessing my supply is normal although we only nurse from 1 breast (as in unilateral nursing), long story I won't get into but I don't think that's an issue as she has no weight issues, health issues.

Please tell me if I'm just imagining that she sleeps better after eating a meal...I'm definitely not someone who thinks that is true anyways but it's hard not to notice a pattern.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Night nursing 13 month old, confused...

Is it possible her molars are coming in?
    My ds acted like that when his 1st year molars were erupting. On days that his teeth were bothering him he would only eat cold fruit or purees, then wanted to nurse all night long was very cranky.
    It went on for quite a while before they were all through.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nathansmum View Post
    Is it possible her molars are coming in?
    My ds acted like that when his 1st year molars were erupting. On days that his teeth were bothering him he would only eat cold fruit or purees, then wanted to nurse all night long was very cranky.
    It went on for quite a while before they were all through.
    Thanks for responding, and yes, she is getting her back molars, one has just poked through and her gums are very swollen. That makes sense.

Also last night she had a big dinner and was up all night, so now I feel better! Knowing that the meal made no difference.

I would agree that it's possible that when baby is feeling comfortable and content baby will eat more and also baby will also sleep longer. In other words the good appetite and a long sleep stretch May Correlate but one does not cause the other.
    Is it also possible that on Some of the Nights baby does not eat well baby is simply hungry Overnight and consequently nurses more? I think that is entirely possible. In fact I think that is why nursing is so important -sometimes (In fact often) babies And toddlers are not going to eat well for any number of reasons and if they wake up hungry (Or Thirsty) There usually is not a simpler way to meet that need than to nurse.
    As long as you are offering your baby food and she is eating what she wants At the moment I don't know what else you could really do about it.
    Just so you know you have company I will tell you that in my experience it is very common for a toddler to nurse different amounts of time on different nights. Some nights my 17-month-old will nurse very frequently and some With less frequency. I have never sat down and tried to figure out what causes one or the other because it just isn't important to me. However on the Nights she is very restless I have found there is usually something causing her discomfort. In our case it's usually a wet diaper And sometimes it's because she needs to poop and hasn't for a couple days. Teething is another factor of course. I have no idea if it has anything to do with how much she eats because to be honest I don't pay that much attention to how much she eats.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I would agree that it's possible that when baby is feeling comfortable and content baby will eat more and also baby will also sleep longer. In other words the good appetite and a long sleep stretch May Correlate but one does not cause the other.
    Is it also possible that on Some of the Nights baby does not eat well baby is simply hungry Overnight and consequently nurses more? I think that is entirely possible. In fact I think that is why nursing is so important -sometimes (In fact often) babies And toddlers are not going to eat well for any number of reasons and if they wake up hungry (Or Thirsty) There usually is not a simpler way to meet that need than to nurse.
    As long as you are offering your baby food and she is eating what she wants At the moment I don't know what else you could really do about it.
    Just so you know you have company I will tell you that in my experience it is very common for a toddler to nurse different amounts of time on different nights. Some nights my 17-month-old will nurse very frequently and some With less frequency. I have never sat down and tried to figure out what causes one or the other because it just isn't important to me. However on the Nights she is very restless I have found there is usually something causing her discomfort. In our case it's usually a wet diaper And sometimes it's because she needs to poop and hasn't for a couple days. Teething is another factor of course. I have no idea if it has anything to do with how much she eats because to be honest I don't pay that much attention to how much she eats.
    Thanks, my husband and I talked about it last night before reading this and reached the same conclusion...there's nothing we can really do to make her eat more or less or try to offer her "special food" (I am not willing to make her a separate meal from the other 3 people eating). And we also reconfirmed our trust in letting her just figure it out for herself, eating solids, etc. I have friends who feed their kids junk food because they wouldn't otherwise eat, and then friends who still feed their kids junk food that over eat, and I don't want to go down either of those roads. I just make a lovely healthy meal, attempt to make it appealing to everyone and hope for the best. I don't want to end up feeding her pasta every night because it would fill her up. Anyway, I think the meal only makes a difference on some occasions and not others.

Like you, I don't get bent out of shape when she doesn't eat solids, I'm just happy I am able to offer her healthy foods at every meal. It was only getting important to me because I notice such a difference in her when she has a more restful night, when she's over tired things get pretty hard on every one. She's been like that from day one, so it's not surprising and I think it's just the way it is for her.

Also, do any of you cloth diaper? is there a forum for this? I would love to figure out a way to make her more comfortable in her diapers, because they do get soaked and she hates both that and getting changed at night if it's soaked.

There is a sub-forum for cloth diapering in the Poop! Forum http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay....loth-Diapering
    I gave up cloth diapers about a year ago, because my ds was getting soaked right through his clothes several times a day. So I have no suggestions for you there

I have yet to figure out how to get onto that cloth diapering forum unfortunately.
    So we also have the soaking problem With my toddler who we are cloth diapering I actually had the same problem with my middle child when we were using disposables. In the case of the disposables we found a Maxipad like insert to put in for overnights.
    now we are using cloth cotton prefolds. We use a typical waterproof cover for daytime but at night we have been using a good thick wool cover. The brand I like the best is Disani. The wool absorbs the moisture and also I think baby stays warmer, And wool being breathable also seems to help prevent diaper rash.
    As we got into the toddler months and the soaking At night became a problem we took a small prefold, folded it into thirds (So triple thick) and Put the large cloth diaper over that. It makes for a thick diaper overall but that has worked well for us to get through the whole night without baby getting Soaked and uncomfortable in most cases.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; January 20th, 2014 at 10:21 PM.