Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaving 10 mth old for three days, twice - milk?

Default Leaving 10 mth old for three days, twice - milk?

Hi everyone,

My ten month old has been eating solids since around 6 months. Right now, he gets 2 meals a day and sometimes a snack as well. He eats probably 3 - 4 times during the day (on demand), but not for very long - before naps or bedtime, though, he can eat for 10-15 minutes. We cosleep and he eats off and on all night, though. His weight is on track and he's very happy with solids and he drinks water a bit when he's with his papa and I'm gone.

I am interviewing for two positions at universities which require me to do "campus visits," and will be gone for 2 1/2 days one week, and 2 1/2 days the next. I don't have frozen milk - I stopped pumping awhile ago - and am wondering how to deal with feeding him while I'm gone. I've tried pumping in the past couple of days and got 2 1/2 oz yesterday and 1 oz today. Is it possible to have him just have solids and water / cow's milk (he hasn't had it yet, but I've heard he can have it by now? He has had cheese and yogurt) for those days when I'm gone? Assuming I would pump of course while I'm away to keep my supply up? Or is that going to really throw him and be bad for him nutritionally?

These interviews are coming up in two weeks (I just found out about them recently); I'm not going to have enough milk even if I pump 2x a day, I think - and honestly I don't want to do that (I just have tons going on right now and was ecstatic to pack away the pump).

Last detail is that my son has been biting me a *lot* when nursing. Twice he has drawn blood, and yesterday he bit me so bad I bled and it's now too sore to nurse from, although I'm trying so I don't have supply issues on that side. I've tried everything - ignoring it, saying "no," etc., and nothing works. But the soreness makes pumping even less desirable.

Any advice is very, very welcome!

Thanks,
    Alison

Default Re: Leaving 10 mth old for three days, twice - milk?

Hi Alison,
    Usually up to a year formula, rather than cow's milk, is recommended in situations where breastmilk is not available. You could talk to your pediatrician to see whether he/she feels differently, though. Whatever you decide to give baby, you might want to try it out before you leave - not all 10 month old babies will accept a breastmilk alternative! Is there any chance baby could come with you during your trip? With perhaps some nursing breaks built into your visit schedule?

If baby doesn't come with you, you should definitely plan to do some pumping while you are away, not only to keep up your supply, but also to make sure you don't get engorged. A mama who is exclusively breastfeeding a baby under one usually can't stop cold turkey.

Thanks for the note. He definitely can't come with me (unfortunately, academia doesn't look so kindly on nursing moms. I kind of have to pretend I have no personal life - most even recommend that you don't *mention* having a family when on an interview of this type. Wtf??!)

I'm hoping to pump in the early morning and as soon as I get back in the evening, and maybe hand express in the bathroom, during the day? He mostly nurses at night and so I figure most of my pumping will have to happen then, rather than during the day. Or at least that's what I'm hoping, since I'd rather not have to ask for a private room to do a pumping session in between meetings with the dean, etc., (ha ha). And yes, after this, I totally plan on writing an article about how hostile the academic world is to nursing moms!

I hate to do formula just because we've made it this far without ... but I know that's a silly and arbitrary thing. I guess I was hoping I could do some combo of rice milk and breastmilk and cow's milk, and then his regular solids.... whatever we do, though, it's a great tip to try it before I go.

Oh, and any thoughts on the biting? I'm soooo sore. I know people say that babies don't self-wean before one or one and a half, even; but wondering if he just doesn't want to nurse during the day? Biting to the point of drawing blood seems pretty extreme... and I've tried all the tips (paying close attention while he nurses, saying "no", ignoring it, etc.) He doesn't bite at night, thank goodness.

When my son bit while nursing, I unlatched him for a second. He made the connection between biting and no nursing pretty quickly.

I've been doing that for awhile, unfortunately - and nothing changes. I unlatch him, I say "no," I cringe, I make a face - one time I even left the room! He started crying. I know it has created a weird stress around nursing for both of us, but he doesn't stop doing it - it even gets worse (as I said, he bit me so hard that I haven't been able to properly nurse out of the right breast this entire day).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*awpowell1107 View Post

I'm hoping to pump in the early morning and as soon as I get back in the evening, and maybe hand express in the bathroom, during the day? He mostly nurses at night and so I figure most of my pumping will have to happen then, rather than during the day.
    I think if your LO is mostly a night-time nurser, this may work out okay. Depending on how good you are at hand expressing - one other thing to consider would be a small manual pump that you could stash in a large purse, if you're planning on pursuing the pumping-in-the-bathroom approach. I've also had success talking to the administrative staff, without involving higher-ups, about making time for a pumping break, and finding a place for it.

Here's the kelly mom link on biting:
    http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

I've always used the stern "no biting" approach, and taking baby off the breast. I know you feel bad about him crying when you left the room but I think baby does need to get the message that it's NOT okay. Some babies do bite more than others. I don't think it's an indication baby wants to wean, though - usually I think it's because of either teething, or testing boundaries.

That is so helpful (the tip about the manual pump)! Thank you! I'm buying one right now. I could tell the admin person to build in some pumping breaks, but I'm just too nervous to risk it.

So is the consensus that my husband should give my son bottles with formula when I'm away? I ordered some of the Earth's Best kind, which I've heard is good for otherwise EBF babies.... I am going to pump what I can before I go, but imagining it won't be more than 20 oz or so.

I think that makes the most sense. And to answer your original question, I don't think it will be nutritionally harmful in any way. I totally understand not wanting to give formula on an emotional level - it's wonderful that you've exclusively breastfed your baby! - and in my opinion, you can still consider your baby to be exclusively breastfed even if he has formula for a couple days while you're away. Think about it: if in baby's first year of life he has around 8000 oz of breast milk (~24 oz/day x 365 days) and 20 oz of formula, I think the effects of breast milk are by far going to win out!