Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month eating patterns; still eating more than once an hour

Default 9 month eating patterns; still eating more than once an hour

I'm looking for advice from someone who has had a baby who likes to eat frequently who successfully helped baby to eat more at a nursing session.

I'm okay with using nursing to connect with my baby and for "comfort." However, I often find my self in doubt, anxiety and conflict about her frequent nursing. Many times, I'll see posts about frequent nursing, and think, "oh, I'm not alone!!" ...and then I see it's a 5 week old or a 13 week old.

Since I stay at home and I'm tired, I generally find it easiest to simple feed her when she wants. However, I'm not happy with this as we've progressed to 9 months. I try to get her to nurse longer, but she pops her little head up and is ready for the world! Well, for 20-30 minutes. Now, sometimes she will go an hour or maybe even 2 if gets a nap...maybe even 3 or 4 if we have a nap and distraction because we are out and about. But I don't want to be out and about just to keep her from nursing.

I always thought I would use scheduling but then had a baby and realized that it really wasn't want I wanted and my husband is frustrated by anything "because it's time."

I know it's unlikely that I'll find anyone who suggests actually making her wait, but at 9 months, is it possible that moving towards a goal of nursing every 2 hours (along with allowing short "connecting" nursing and/or falling down "reset" nursing as needed, something that is okay for baby? And if so, how in the world do I get her to nurse more than 3-4 minutes at a time?

Default Re: 9 month eating patterns; still eating more than once an

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-capacity.html

I really wish I had some advice for you but my son is two and still nurses like that when we're at home. I think by nine months old he was getting into books. Can you read a book while nursing to keep her interest better? Breast compressions to push more out in a shorter time?

I love this new infographic! I am a classic low storage capacity mama, too. Our babies are smart, and they know they need to nurse frequently to get what they need. Unfortunately, this is generally a set thing. For this baby, it is not likely you can change your capacity or single session output. Nursing longer than 3-4 minutes is not likely to change it either, unless you truly feel like baby is leaving tons of milk behind. My daughter fed in about 2 minutes at that age. Two minutes, every 30 minutes or so!

My 14 month old nurses very frequently still, but less than she did at 9 months. Over time, baby will take in more nutrition from other sources, and will nurse less. I personally am still nursing on demand, but would feel more comfortable setting limits if I felt I needed to at the 12 month mark. At 9 months, baby is still very dependent on milk for nutrition, so I would personally hesitate to limit just yet. But in a few more months, it is very possible baby will be giving you those longer stretches.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

My kids nursed like this when they were home. Probably until they were around 12-15 months old. When it got to be a bit much, I made a point of getting out of the house once a day, and going somewhere. The park, in good weather, or the grocery store or big box store when it wasn't so nice out.

At 9 months, it may be that your baby still needs really frequent feedings. Or it may be that she could make do on fewer feedings, but really prefers smaller feedings. Or it may be that she doesn't really need to feed so frequently at all, and just wants to "touch base" with her mommy, and get some cuddles and attention. Touching base is something older babies do pretty often- as they become more mobile and more independent, they need to reassure themselves that mom is still there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I realized that I should have also included that I nurse single sided. I have never really had problems with supply, and likely have either oversupply or a "overactive" let down on my left side. This caused a lot of problems early on, and so, I basically nursed on the lesser side during the day and the heavier side at night or when she was sleepy. I just got in the habit of just one-sided nursing that I've just kept doing it. I do offer the other side sometimes but generally the side she starts on still feels unfinished when she comes off. It's a night right before bed that she successfully takes both sides and drains both sides very throughly.

Just now, before nap, when she came off the first side, I decided to just try offering the other side to see if maybe she came off because she "finished" it. But after I switched, I could feel it wasn't finished and she didn't stay on the second side. She came off that side really quickly so I put her back not he first side and she ate a little more and then decided she wasn't quite tired enough for a nap. Then an hour later (and a dirty diaper and some peas), she took the other side, finished it and took her nap.

I think my really concern is that when she isn't full, she decides she isn't ready for a nap. And, she sometimes can make it through the night, but other times wakes at 4 or 5 am rather than making it all the way until 6 or 7.

I read another post about "snacking," and I was encouraged by what one of the moms said about breastfeeding not just being a feeding decision but a parenting type decisions. I hear of babies naturally spacing themselves out to nurse every 3 or 4 hours, and I'm shocked by this because of how frequently my baby nurses. I don't understand what people mean by naturally "spreading" out. I really don't have to offer Lily the breast. She comes to me! I'd have to be forceful to not nurse at least once an hour. I do agree that it really could just be her connecting with me since she often nurses only 2-3 minutes unless it's before nap or bedtime.

If one-sided nursing has been your pattern, now would be an excellent time to keep trying the approach where you offer both breasts at a feeding. Many, if not most, mothers who initially nurse on just one breast per feeding ultimately transition to offering both breasts. Who knows- maybe if your baby gets into the habit of nursing on both breasts, she'll take in a little more milk at her feedings and go somewhat longer between feedings as a result. But don't count on it!

It sounds like your baby generally sleeps all the way through the night, correct? If so, that is insanely generous sleep from a 9 month old. At that age, a lot of babies are still up multiple times a night to eat; both of mine were up 5-8 times a night. It may be that your baby sleeps so well at night because you are so responsive to her needs during the day- those frequent daytime feedings allow her to tank up on calories to such an extent that she doesn't need to eat at night.

A lot of people do talk about how their babies naturally space out their feedings, with long intervals between nursing sessions. For some people, this really does happen- this is usually a combination of mom with large milk supply and laid-back baby. Others are stretching the truth a bit. Maybe their babies go 3 hours between feedings except when they want a snack again after an hour. And others have pushed their babies into the long intervals, and are probably about to get a nasty shock; the price of artificially stretched out feedings is often decreased supply and slow weight gain. The best thing to do is to forget about other people- what they do doesn't really have much to say about what your baby needs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"