Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy Sensitivity?

Default Dairy Sensitivity?

Hello ladies,

I am looking for help for my 11 week daughter. She's not quite 3 months yet, but since she's close and this isn't an issue about beginning breastfeeding, I thought I might get better advice if I posted here. Hope that's okay.

My daughter seems to have a very sensitive stomach. Starting from week one, she spit up excessively and began projectile vomiting. I have a two year old son that I nursed until I got pregnant who never had these issues so it really caught me off guard. I started trying lots of things for acid reflux but nothing worked. I would wear her in a sling after nursing or keep her sitting up. None of it mattered. She still would puke all over me. Not to mention she was fussy and not sleeping well.

After taking her to the chiropractor and doing an allergy test, it showed a reaction to nightshades vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes), and it made sense. I cut all of that out and for the most part she got better. I've learned anything acidic makes her sick so I've also cut out citrus fruits, coffee, and anything with vinegar. She seemed to be doing better until about two weeks ago. The excessive spitting up has started again, although this time she isn't fussy, she's sleeping well, no green or mucousy poops. She's a little bit gassy but honestly other than the excessive spitting up/puking she's a pretty happy girl.

I thought dairy might be the problem so I cut way back a week ago (we do a LOT of dairy) and took it out completely 4 days ago. The thing is, I have seen zero change. I know it can take two weeks to get out completely, but I guess I thought I would see a difference by this point.

My question is, is it too soon to see a difference? I'm getting frustrated and feel like I can't eat anything but don't want to give up too soon and be right back at square one in a week or two. Part of me is thinking since she doesn't seem bothered by it to just put the dairy back in and make life a little easier. The other part of me is tired of being puked on and having to change both of our clothes constantly throughout the day. Plus, I worry about what this could be doing to her esophagus over time.

Any help or suggestions?

Default Re: Dairy Sensitivity?

My son was never a puker, but he has a horrible stomach. It does take a full two weeks to get the diary out of the system and you should start to see a change if that is it after the two week mark. My son also has a problem with eggs, broccoli and cauliflower. Is there something else that you could be eating (even though it seems like you are eating nothing haha!)? I also do a lot of tummy time because that seems to help get the gas out of his body I also started to use natural gas drops and do little exercises with his legs (like pedal the bike) in order to strengthen the stomach muscles. Is there a time of day it is worse.

I cut out dairy when my daughter was a little younger due to mucus and blood in her poop. It took about 3 weeks for it to really clear my system and see a difference in her. We did not have the puking issues so I am not sure about that. Gas drops also helped a lot.
    I would not cut out so many things without checking other things. I know you said this is not a breastfeeding issue but it can me. From what I understand OAL can wreak havoc. It might be worth looking into BF issues that can cause stomach issues and see if you can correct them. I am sure some of the more experienced moms will chime in with more specific advice.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cairy.schreiber View Post
    My son was never a puker, but he has a horrible stomach. It does take a full two weeks to get the diary out of the system and you should start to see a change if that is it after the two week mark. My son also has a problem with eggs, broccoli and cauliflower. Is there something else that you could be eating (even though it seems like you are eating nothing haha!)? I also do a lot of tummy time because that seems to help get the gas out of his body I also started to use natural gas drops and do little exercises with his legs (like pedal the bike) in order to strengthen the stomach muscles. Is there a time of day it is worse.
    It's possible it could be something else, but I just don't know what else it could be. Eggs are a possibility, but again it's hard to tell. There isn't a time of day where it's worse. It can be all day and then the next day be fine even though I ate the same things. Tummy time just makes her puke. I mentioned the gas not out of concern because it really doesn't seem to be bothering her but more just to show that it really is the only other issue going on right now and it's minimal.

My main question though was while I know it can take two weeks to get out of my system, I thought I would start seeing some improvements sooner. With every other change, I started to see a difference within 24 hours. I knew she could still have issues for two weeks, but thought I would see a difference by now. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    I cut out dairy when my daughter was a little younger due to mucus and blood in her poop. It took about 3 weeks for it to really clear my system and see a difference in her. We did not have the puking issues so I am not sure about that. Gas drops also helped a lot.
    I would not cut out so many things without checking other things. I know you said this is not a breastfeeding issue but it can me. From what I understand OAL can wreak havoc. It might be worth looking into BF issues that can cause stomach issues and see if you can correct them. I am sure some of the more experienced moms will chime in with more specific advice.
    Thank you for your response. This was more what I was asking. So just to understand, you are saying when you cut out dairy you saw absolutely no improvement for 3 weeks?

I wasn't trying to say this isn't a breastfeeding issue. It could be. I have OALD, especially on my left side, but feed more frequently to lessen it. I just meant this wasn't a problem with starting breastfeeding (latching, positioning, regulating supply, etc.), which is why I thought I should post here.

Aside from the spit-up, is your baby healthy, generally happy, and gaining weight at a normal pace? Are her poops generally yellowish and free of blood? If so, I would not be concerned that something in your diet is hurting her, nor would I do any further dietary eliminations. In fact, at this point I would consider trying the foods you've eliminated all over again, one at a time; allergy testing on young infants is not particularly accurate (most doctors won't even do it), and their sensitivities can change pretty quickly. And as a nursing mom, you need to eat and keep your strength up. Too many moms quit breastfeeding because they have eliminated pretty much everything in their diets, and it's incredibly hard to live on gluten-free bread and water and also nurse and care for a baby!!!

This is a great link on breastfeeding and diet: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

Spit-up is a normal part of infancy. It's probably not happening because of something you're eating/not eating/doing/not doing. It's most likely to be happening because the muscle sphincters which keep a baby's stomach contents in the stomach are, like all of her other muscles, relatively weak and undeveloped. In my experience, spit-up tends to worsen as the baby gets more mobile, squirming in new and interesting ways and jostling her digestive system around. At almost 3 months, your baby may be getting ready to roll, and that could be causing the increase in spit-up.

In a happy, healthy baby, spit-up is a laundry problem, not a health problem. Lay in the bibs and spare onesies, and never hold your baby over your face. My DH learned that the hard way- spit-up in his eye! (He's still mad at me for laughing.)

ETA: don't worry about her esophagus. She's consuming a calcium-rich diet, which neutralizes stomach acid to a large extent, and there is no need to worry about acid erosion from normal levels of spit-up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Aside from the spit-up, is your baby healthy, generally happy, and gaining weight at a normal pace? Are her poops generally yellowish and free of blood? If so, I would not be concerned that something in your diet is hurting her, nor would I do any further dietary eliminations. In fact, at this point I would consider trying the foods you've eliminated all over again, one at a time; allergy testing on young infants is not particularly accurate (most doctors won't even do it), and their sensitivities can change pretty quickly. And as a nursing mom, you need to eat and keep your strength up. Too many moms quit breastfeeding because they have eliminated pretty much everything in their diets, and it's incredibly hard to live on gluten-free bread and water and also nurse and care for a baby!!!

This is a great link on breastfeeding and diet: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

Spit-up is a normal part of infancy. It's probably not happening because of something you're eating/not eating/doing/not doing. It's most likely to be happening because the muscle sphincters which keep a baby's stomach contents in the stomach are, like all of her other muscles, relatively weak and undeveloped. In my experience, spit-up tends to worsen as the baby gets more mobile, squirming in new and interesting ways and jostling her digestive system around. At almost 3 months, your baby may be getting ready to roll, and that could be causing the increase in spit-up.

In a happy, healthy baby, spit-up is a laundry problem, not a health problem. Lay in the bibs and spare onesies, and never hold your baby over your face. My DH learned that the hard way- spit-up in his eye! (He's still mad at me for laughing.)

ETA: don't worry about her esophagus. She's consuming a calcium-rich diet, which neutralizes stomach acid to a large extent, and there is no need to worry about acid erosion from normal levels of spit-up.
    Thank you so much for this! This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking and what my husband and I have been discussing. She definitely seems happy and is gaining well so I was wondering if maybe it was unnecessary. At the same time though, I worried maybe I was being selfish because I didn't want to cut anything else out and of course, I'm getting tired of spending my days covered in spit up.

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I may add dairy back in and reevaluate if she gets worse again. It's just too hard trying to find things to eat with such a limited variety and I'm starving all the time

Just wanted to second what mommal said. Spit up is pretty much inevitable, and some babies just spit up more than others! As long as baby is happy, gaining appropriately, and not in apparent pain, then the spit up is a laundry issue.

Good luck!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss