Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby crying while feeding

Default Baby crying while feeding

My son is 3 months and a week old and EBF. He has been a reasonably good feeder. But for the past 2 weeks he has taken to crying while feeding. The pattern most often is such - feed for 2 to 4 minutes just fine, cough, I burp him and then after that he starts to cry on feeding. Tricks like walking, or swaying while feeding help, but very little. Feeding while sleeping works well tho.

Doctors think it could be GERD and I am giving him Zantac, tho the situation hasn't improved over past 10 days or so of medication. He doesn't have many GERD symptoms as mentioned on https://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar03p12.html except the crying during feeding part. He spits up a few times a day , but not much.
    I am at loss how to resolve this and get him feed fine again.
    Any thoughts, suggestions?

Also, I don't think it is a case of too much, or too fast milk as if anything my milk supply has regulated over the last 2 -3 weeks from earlier 2, 3 months of somewhat oversupply.

(Not sure if this is related - but since around 6 weeks, we notice some blood in his potty on and off( thin strand half an inch or so).I have been off dairy for 7 weeks and off soy for 2 weeks without much improvement on this front.)
    Last edited by @llli*ck; January 17th, 2014 at 12:39 AM.

Default Re: Baby crying while feeding

Does the crying happen or intensify at any particular time of day?

My first thought is that this could be a reaction to your supply adjusting. Babies get used to fast and abundant letdowns when mom has oversupply, and often they can't quite figure out how to nurse now that letdowns are a little slower and less abundant. If this is the case, the best thing you can do is power through the fussiness. Don't try to make things easier for the baby by trying to increase your milk supply or offering the bottle instead of nursing. Just let the baby learn how to stimulate the milk flow he wants to have.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Does the crying happen or intensify at any particular time of day?
    This crying happens any time when is is trying to feed when awake. Note otherwise he is a happy child.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My first thought is that this could be a reaction to your supply adjusting. .
    Hmmm..One day over last 2 weeks he fed very pporly and I was engorged again, But he was still fussy.

It is getting to the point that feeding him when he is awake for over 2 4 minutes is not possible anymore

I stand by the advice to just tough it out. Sometimes babies just have to figure out for themselves the most efficient way to get their needs met, and most of them eventually make the connection that fussing is counterproductive to getting those needs met. Just watch his diaper output.

Is he feeding very quickly?
    Teething?
    Has he had a cold or ear infection recently?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"