Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need opinions please....

Unhappy Need opinions please....

Hi! I have a 3 week old daughter, and we have been experiencing the many ups and downs of breastfeeding. Here is our story..
    At birth my daughter was born tongue tied. (which is when your tongue is tied to the floor of your mouth by a frenulum or a piece of skin) After working with 3 different lactation consultants in the hospital, we got at good start with nursing. The pediatrician, as well as the lactation consultants, reccommended that we have her frenulum clipped (frenulectemy) to 1. Make sure she doesn't have any speech problems later 2. To make sure she is able to breastfeed effectively. So, at five days old we had her frenulum clipped.
    Breastfeeding had been going fine, but when she was a week and a half old, my nipples began to severely crack and bleed. At that point breastfeeding was soooooo painful that I had to stop. I rented a hospital grade pump, and have been pumping ever since. Now that my nipples are healed, I've been latching her on a couple times every day. She never seems completely satisfied after a feeding, and I have to supplement her with EBM after nursing. I have a hard time nursing her exclusively throughout the day because 1. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who needs my attention 2. I'm scared my nipples will break down again.
    As previously mentioned I have a 2 1/2 year old son, which has made this hard. My husband works 55 hours per week and I am soley responsible for the care of my son, and newborn. When I sit down to try and breastfeed, something always comes up with my son and I can't relax. So, I've been breastfeeding her only when he is napping and pumping throughout the day. Also, I've been supplementing her at night with formula with hopes of her sleeping longer because I am exhausted. My husband is off for the next 2 days, and I would like to have a "nurse in". I am going to let him care for our son, and try to relax and feed my daughter exclusively the breast for the entire day. I am at the point where it is either going to work or I'm going to stop entirely because it is not easy to pump and care for two young children.
    My questions are:
    1. I've been pumping every 4 hours during the day, and 5 hours at night. Plus, I've been doing some formula supplementation at night. Do you think my supply will ever meet her demands again?
    2. Do you think that it is possible to re-establish a good breastfeeding relationship at this point?

I appreciate any opinions offered. Thank you for reading my long story.

Default Re: Need opinions please....

Congrats on your new baby!
    Yes you can get her back to the breast exclusive but you will have to work at it. First off,
    why do you feel that she is not satisfied after she nurses?
    Have you tried breast compressions while she is eating to keep the flow going?
    Have you tried a sling, you could put her in that, latch her on, and tighten it so that if you had to go after ds she could still eat?
    Also I know that it is hard to have to chase a 2 yr old, I only have one ds but am a nanny for a 28 month old, when she is here, I have to pop a movie in and nurse ds, to ensure that she stays safe and busy while I nurse, I strap her into her high chair, you could also try some "room time" for your ds if you are opposed to a little TV, put a baby gate up in his room and let him play while you nurse dd?
    If you are concerned about your supply I think that the nurse in is a good idea. Also please remember that your baby is so much more efficient than any pump, she is getting more than you are to see when you pump.
    Are you using Lanolin for your nipples?
    Also, you said that you were supplementing with formula at night to get more sleep, have you tried to co-sleep with dd? That way she could boost your supply at night and you could also get more sleep by not having to wake all of the way to feed her, just roll over latch her on and go back to sleep.

I hope that some of this is helpful! Blessings! Brittan

Hello, Muffin!
    Welcome to the boards. And congrats on your new arrival.

Is there any way that you can try to nurse more frequently? One suggestion I have is to create an area that is totally toddler proof. Then make yourself a "nursing basket" and put all the newborn supplies, stuff for you (magazines, lotion, televison remote, water, snacks), stuff for your toddler (special toys that only come out when you're nursing, books, games, special snacks), and anything else you need in it. This might make it easier for you and your newborn to just take a little time and nurse. Maybe when your dh is off work, you could take a day and just practice nursing? With the extra hands to care for your toddler, it might make things easier.

I also second the sling recommendation! Once you and baby get the hang of it, it's a very useful tool! Especially when you have another little one to run after. You can even put your 2yo in the stroller, strap baby on in the sling, and go for a walk!

Here is some information you might find helpful:
    Getting baby back to the breast:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    Increasing production:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    How to tell if baby is getting enough:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    Taking care of a newborn and a toddler (NOT a LLL resource):
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...n-toddler.html

Quote Originally Posted by muffin
    1. I've been pumping every 4 hours during the day, and 5 hours at night. Plus, I've been doing some formula supplementation at night. Do you think my supply will ever meet her demands again?
    That goal is certainly attainable. The very best thing you can do to increase production is remove milk more frequently and fully.

2. Do you think that it is possible to re-establish a good breastfeeding relationship at this point?
    Absolutey!

Thanks for the responses, ladies!
    You both had some great suggestions. No, I don't own a sling, but I have a baby Bjorn. A bit different, but I can still "wear" my DD, but I don't think that I can nurse her in it.
    Brittan~I don't feel like she is satisfied after nursing because after both sides she wants more. I would love to co-sleep and nurse, but with my history of excoriated nipples, I am VERY concerned with correct positioning at this point. I haven't been able to lie down to nurse her without pain. Also, I think that is why I need the peace and quiet to nurse her, I really want to make sure our latch is appropriate. Yes, I do use a lot of Lanolin. I love it! When my nipples were broken down, I even used glycerin dressings from the hospital to heal them, they were great too.
    Jolie~Thank you for the suggestions. At this point my DS is so interested in what I am doing with the baby that it is hard to involve him in independent activities. The baskets are a great idea. We have a play room full of toys, and available videos, etc. I guess I will just have to think ahead before feedings to occupy him. Tommorrow my DH is off of work, and I'm going to nurse as much as possible. I'm hoping for good results, no pain and a satisfied baby.
    I really appreciate all of your support ladies. I will let you know how things go. Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, ladies!
    You both had some great suggestions. No, I don't own a sling, but I have a baby Bjorn. A bit different, but I can still "wear" my DD, but I don't think that I can nurse her in it.
    Brittan~I don't feel like she is satisfied after nursing because after both sides she wants more. I would love to co-sleep and nurse, but with my history of excoriated nipples, I am VERY concerned with correct positioning at this point. I haven't been able to lie down to nurse her without pain. Also, I think that is why I need the peace and quiet to nurse her, I really want to make sure our latch is appropriate. Yes, I do use a lot of Lanolin. I love it! When my nipples were broken down, I even used glycerin dressings from the hospital to heal them, they were great too.
    Jolie~Thank you for the suggestions. At this point my DS is so interested in what I am doing with the baby that it is hard to involve him in independent activities. The baskets are a great idea. We have a play room full of toys, and available videos, etc. I guess I will just have to think ahead before feedings to occupy him. Tommorrow my DH is off of work, and I'm going to nurse as much as possible. I'm hoping for good results, no pain and a satisfied baby.
    I really appreciate all of your support ladies. I will let you know how things go. Thanks!
    Hi! You've been offered great advice (Brittan when are you applying to be a leader? Good questions!!!). A couple of things could be happening that could lead you to believe that ds is not satisfied.
    1. Around 2-3 weeks, babies go through a growth spurt that can be characterized by baby wanting to eat 'constantly' and sleep more often. If you meet her needs through it, you will be working well to achieve the goals of (a) teaching her that mommy will always be there to meet her needs, and (b) upping your milk supply. Growth sputs also occur around 3 mos and 6 mos so don't be suprised if that happens again!

2. Babies have an extremely strong need to suck. It is instinct and natures way of making sure that they don't starve as they are designed to suck on mommy! (isn't nature so smart?!? ) This reflex will subside around 4 months as reaching skills begin and ds's search for food becomes more voluntary.

How is ds sucking after he seems to be done feeding? There are two types of sucking that become apparent after a few weeks of life: comfort and nutritional. Comfort sucking, the weaker suck is most prevalent when baby is not hungry but just needs a little comfort. This type helps baby just get the foremilk. Nutritional sucking is so vigorous that you will be able to see the darling muscles of his face work so hard that even his ears wiggle during this tyope. This type rewards baby with the higher calorie hind milk. IF it is comfort sucking, then allow it as it will meet his emotional needs and up your supply. If it is nutritional then as long as ds has enough wet diapers (about 6) a day, then you don't need to think about supplementing.

It is important to meet both of these sucking needs. Because of this, I highly recomend you get a sling (the bjorn is great for long walks and outings, but the sling comes in real handy when you need to get things done around the house or chase after a 2 year old). You can find them on ebay for reasonable prices, but I would check the brand name site for the retail price so you don't over pay. I find the maya or nojo style styles work great for nursing. The great thing about the maya is that you can use the tail to cover up ds while he is nursing, which makes it easier in public. Many a time has my ds nursed as I shopped through the racks at local stores-- and no one even knew it!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; March 1st, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Thanks Kristi, I am actually a leader applicant right now, as of Friday!

Just wanted to see if things were any better today? With a little time I am sure that you will find your nitch with the both of them!