Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby crying while feeding

Default Baby crying while feeding

My son is 3 months and a week old and EBF. He has been a reasonably good feeder. But for the past 2 weeks he has taken to crying while feeding. The pattern most often is such - feed for 2 to 4 minutes just fine, cough, I burp him and then after that he starts to cry on feeding. Tricks like walking, or swaying while feeding help, but very little. Feeding while sleeping works well tho.

Doctors think it could be GERD and I am giving him Zantac, tho the situation hasn't improved over past 10 days or so of medication. He doesn't have many GERD symptoms as mentioned on https://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar03p12.html except the crying during feeding part. He spits up a few times a day , but not much.
    I am at loss how to resolve this and get him feed fine again.
    Any thoughts, suggestions?

Also, I don't think it is a case of too much, or too fast milk as if anything my milk supply has regulated over the last 2 -3 weeks from earlier 2, 3 months of somewhat oversupply.

(Not sure if this is related - but since around 6 weeks, we notice some blood in his potty on and off( thin strand half an inch or so).I have been off dairy for 7 weeks and off soy for 2 weeks without much improvement on this front.)
    Last edited by @llli*ck; January 17th, 2014 at 12:39 AM.

Default Re: Baby crying while feeding

Does the crying happen or intensify at any particular time of day?

My first thought is that this could be a reaction to your supply adjusting. Babies get used to fast and abundant letdowns when mom has oversupply, and often they can't quite figure out how to nurse now that letdowns are a little slower and less abundant. If this is the case, the best thing you can do is power through the fussiness. Don't try to make things easier for the baby by trying to increase your milk supply or offering the bottle instead of nursing. Just let the baby learn how to stimulate the milk flow he wants to have.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Does the crying happen or intensify at any particular time of day?
    This crying happens any time when is is trying to feed when awake. Note otherwise he is a happy child.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My first thought is that this could be a reaction to your supply adjusting. .
    Hmmm..One day over last 2 weeks he fed very pporly and I was engorged again, But he was still fussy.

It is getting to the point that feeding him when he is awake for over 2 4 minutes is not possible anymore

I stand by the advice to just tough it out. Sometimes babies just have to figure out for themselves the most efficient way to get their needs met, and most of them eventually make the connection that fussing is counterproductive to getting those needs met. Just watch his diaper output.

Is he feeding very quickly?
    Teething?
    Has he had a cold or ear infection recently?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been meaning to update this for a while to share my story and hopefully give hope to other moms in similar situation as I was 8 months ago. Just came back back from my son's 1 year checkup today and decided that no better time to update my post than now. Today at his vaccination, my thoughts went to his 4/6 month vaccination when he cried, I could not offer my breast to soothe him...infact that pained him more. Today - he is older and he cried louder than earlier times on the vaccinations, but in a few seconds I offered him the breast, he drank, it soothed him..and I felt so blessed at seeing him recovered from those painful days of reflux.

Anyways -
    My suggestion to parents in similar situation is 1) find a good doctor/support - who helps you mentally too. 2)Try to do the most you can and try to think that this will get over. Latter is easier said than done..
    Here is my story and I hope it helps -

At around 2 months my son would get teeny blood in his potty - Docs said milk protein allergy and I stopped dairy around that time. Around 2.5/3 months my son became a very fussy feeder from a normal one - he would cry on feeding and eventually stopped feeding awake..After a few very frustrating weeks , i learnt that he feeds when sleeping only- so we became dream feeders. I would say all his feeds were dreamfeeding from month 4 to 7. It was hard - lets call them the dark days..I would cry so very often....i remember those days - me and my husband spending hours putting him to sleep, hoping he wouldnt wake before having his milk, if he would wake up before drinking milk, a feed would be missed. It was hard seeing his percentile drop with every doctor visit, numerous doctor visits, lactation consultants, lli, googling, getting support sometimes from other, and then many times no support e.g. doctor saying things like - "maybe he just prefers to feed while sleeping" and well wishing friends saying - "o its new mom's syndrome - he will eat if hungry". Zantac didnt work - tho I have to admit, initially we didnt give him full doze, then later we did, but no avail. I tried dairy and soy elimination from his 3 month onward., I did the Dr. Sears TED diet for 1 month. We got his tongue tie clipped twice (once at 6 weeks, another at 5ish months. No change..
    I was disappointed at how insensitively his doctor was handling this & how my son was not getting any better. Was it really reflux? then why is zantac not helping? What if something else was wrong? when will this get over? Will he ever get better? Worst of all - he wasn't eating well..or enjoying eating.

So I decided to look for other doctors. We live in San Francisco & were with UCSF earlier. I was lucky to get hold of a great doctor (pediatric GI at CPMC - http://www.sutterhealth.org/dr-judy-fuentebella.html). This was little before his 5th month. Dr. Judy was a breath of fresh air - I keep saying she was more my psychiatrist than my son;s GI. She did two things 1) put him on prevacid & then miralax after a month or so (his poops had become less frequent too) 2)motivate me to hang in there. After prevacid i noticed, he started drinking more in his sleep. But still no awake feedings. then little before his 7th month, little after we started miralax (and he would poop daily then) he started drinking milk awake once in a while.. I think his reflux was gone and it was all psychological at that time...In another few weeks we started prevacid gradual weaning and then miralax weaning around 9/10 months...
    And things have been well. ..

He took well to solids too around 6 months..starting from a couple of oz a day and then growing from there. By 8/9 months he would drink from me when awake...tho he never took to bottle well - which was still dream feeding. And around 11 months he started drinking milk from sippy cup and solids have been going well always. And for the last month he has been having dairy too (yogurt, butter) and we plan to introduce cows milk this weekend.

I think prevacid helped with his milk intake during last days of his reflux...and miralax too cleared the plumbing, so to say..then just gradual work on the psychological aspect..And a sensitive doctor helped maintain our sanity thru those times..
    One thing that i wouldv done different had i known better was to have his tongue tie clipped at birth. lot of literature outside of western medicine does indicate a link between reflux and tongue tie. But the doctors never thought it was a problem since he latched well - so we didnt get the tie clipped at birth. Only later when he had these issues, that we got it clipped...maybe it was too late? maybe not. But I wish we were guided better wrt. this at the onset.

He is healthy and those dark days are behind us...and I just wanted to share that same will happen to you too.
    Last edited by @llli*ck; October 16th, 2014 at 11:25 PM.

It's great reading you got to the other side! Well done Mama

Yes, it is great to hear! I can't imagine how difficult those days were for all of you.

Thank you for posting the update. Reading about a successful outcome can be so helpful to those who are still struggling to find their way.

I am so happy that you and your son and your family have arrived at this beautiful place together. Thank you for sharing!