Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second Time Mom- challenging nursing this time around!

Default Second Time Mom- challenging nursing this time around!

My son is 6wks old and generally our day of nursing is as follows- I have a "full" feeling in both breast most of the day (not "hard") and when my son eats 5- 10 minutes, he gulps, chokes and when he pulls off- milk sprays everywhere or drips down my breast. When away from him, I can pump around 6 oz off each breast in 10 minutes after a two hour lapse in feeding. He tends to be a sleepier and fussier baby than my DD. He is also extremely gassy, which may be the cause of his fussiness. We are blessed that he is gaining great and his output is healthy.

I have read about OALD and oversupply and feel that those may be applicable to our situation. He does frequently have a stuffy nose (not related to an illness), grunts most of the day, seems generally fussy, expels many burps and toots, and has gurgley stomach. There are times when he refuses to nurse or cries at the breast. But he does not spit up or have green frothy poops though.

I do try to feed on cue, but his patterns are erratic. Sometimes every two hours, other times 30 minutes or three hours. He never wants to stay on the breast longer than 10 minutes at a time. No comfort nursing either.

I am also taking acidophilus, prenatals, fish oil, and folic acid as supplements daily and do drink two cups of coffee a day.

I nursed my DD for 17 months and had a wonderful (and easy) nursing relationship. I'm am so anxious and afraid that I will not have the same with my son. What's wrong with us? Am I eating something wrong? Do I have OALD and oversupply? Maybe latch issues? Am I taking too many supplements? Sorry this post is so long- I just want some help

Default Re: Second Time Mom- challenging nursing this time around!

Hi mama, it does sound like you may have forceful letdown and oversupply, from what you describe. Which is quite common early on - there is nothing wrong with you! Nature's way of making sure baby has enough milk. Usually the oversupply will calm down over time, as your body matches your supply to baby's demand. And baby becomes more adept with dealing with the forceful letdown. In the meantime, a "laid-back" nursing position can help baby deal with the forceful flow - in other words, you don't want baby to be downstream from the flow. Also, frequent nursing is helpful - if baby hasn't nursed in a couple hours, doesn't hurt to offer.

Here are some links about laid-back nursing and forceful letdown:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html

You're doing great mama, rest assured a lot of the challenges you are facing now are likely to get better with time, and there's no reason to think you shouldn't have a nice long breastfeeding relationship with your son as you did with your daughter!

with the PP.

How often are you pumping?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I pump twice a week M/Th- once in morning and then on afternoon, 10 minutes a time, with an electric pump. I work at a Mother's Day out program so not often at all...

Keep in mind that a meal size at the breast is 2 or 3 or maybe 4 oz. You are pumping 12 oz each time, do I understand that correctly? Fortunately it's not too often, but you might want to try to more closely match what you are doing with the pump to what baby would be doing if nursing - ie pump less - since baby would never be drinking 12 oz at one sitting.

Yes... I do mean 12 oz in a 10 minute pump session. A big blessing in the long run, but right now an obstacle. Thank you all for your advice! I tried laid back nursing this afternoon- no fussing at the breast or choking! He even relaxed and fell asleep! All of your help was awesome!

Wonderful, that's great!