Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How average weight gain is determined

Default How average weight gain is determined

I just want to be sure that I'm interpreting Kellymom correctly where the website says to calculate weight gain from baby's lowest known weight. This means that when I'm calculating how much weight my son has gained on average, I go from that lowest known number, correct? Do US peds usually look at weight gain this way? LO was 9 lbs at birth, then dropped to 8 lbs 8 oz on day 3, and when we weighed him on day 23, he was 9 lbs 15 oz, having gained an average of .79 lbs per day since his lowest known weight. But it's only .72 oz per day since birth. I'm just hoping our ped will be satisfied with our LO's weight gain at his checkup tomorrow. Thanks!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: How average weight gain is determined

My Dr didn't go from the lowest, she went off his birth weight. I would bet most drs go off birth weight, because you can't really know the lowest weight, unless you weight them every day.
    Ryder James 1/21/13

Default Re: How average weight gain is determined

I think it depends on the pediatrician. Some are going to go off of birth weight, some off of lowest known weight, which is probably going to be the last one taken at the hospital if your baby was born in a hospital. My understanding is that the measurement should be made as per Kellymom, from the lowest weight.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"