Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mother taking supplements- help or hurt?

Default Mother taking supplements- help or hurt?

I have an odd question- I have always taken vitamins and supplements throughout my adult life for health enhancement. I generally cut down on supplements during pregnancy and then begin again whilst nursing. I do this with the thought that my baby is getting some nutritional benefit of my supplements through my milk. Is this true? I have heard conflicting theories on this. But I haven't heard that it can harm my milk quaility.

I take prenatals, a folic acid tablet, fish oil capsule, and an acidophilus capsule (for probiotic purposes) daily.

Anyone else do this or am I crazy?! Good idea or not? Lactation consultant at the hospital really had no idea. Grateful for any response

Default Re: Mother taking supplements- help or hurt?

This would certainly be a question for your OB and pediatrician. My daughter's pediatrician recommended continuing my prenatals while I'm breastfeeding. Any vitamins you take in will be ear-marked for the baby (through your milk) first and your body will get whatever is leftover so it's important for you to make sure you're getting enough. Vitamin D and calcium are especially important ones to be sure you are getting enough of. I would say to continue your prenatal vitamin which contains all the basics (and be sure it contains the max recommended dose) and ask the doc about anything beyond that.
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

I don't think it would hurt personally!
    Ryder James 1/21/13

I take prenatals, a calcium supplement, and a vitamin D supplement. My OB said to stay away from fish oil supplements because of the mercury risk (fish oil pills aren't regulated, so the mercury levels can vary substantially). I don't know about probiotics, but I shouldn't think they'd hurt anything. If you're really concerned, though, I'd recommend calling Infantrisk. They should know more!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss