Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast milk + extra nourishment before bedtime

Smile Breast milk + extra nourishment before bedtime

Hello lovely Moms

I'm looking to give my little 13 month old a little extra nourishment before bedtime and was wondering what you might recommend. I am looking for snack ideas, as well as fluid ideas. I still nurse Oliver as often as possible (and I love it so much), and I nurse him after supper and before he goes to sleep. However, lately I've been finding that I can't seem to give him as much as he would like before bed as he goes to sleep. I will have a let down and then nothing for quite a while~often I'll have another little let down, but quite a while later. Sometimes putting him to sleep takes a really long time and he often goes on and off the breasts for an hour at times. I wonder if it's because he's hungry (or maybe even not tired or just energetic!) Do you recommend warm homo milk and then a nurse to sleep? Or perhaps some type of formula or special mix with vitamins/minerals/protein in it? I'd like something gentle & filling on the tummy. Tonight while he's having stories with Papa, he's nursing his very first bottle filled with warm homo milk. It brought me to tears a little... looking forward to nursing him to sleep after. Thanks so much! <3

Default Re: Breast milk + extra nourishment before bedtime

Mama, what's your goal with providing "extra" nourishment before bedtime? Are you looking to promote a longer stretch of sleep? Worried about your toddler's weight? Trying to shorten up the process of putting your toddler to bed?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a toddler who is older (19 mos) and from time to time she seems a little restless before bed (even though I know she's tired). She can ask for a snack now, so that helps me to know what she needs, although when she does ask for one I'm never totally sure if it's because she's actually hungry or she's trying to stall going to bed! If we had an early dinner and it's been a while since she's eaten, I will usually offer her a snack. The go-to snack is cheese. It's easy and quick, nutritious, she likes it, it has some fat and protein to satisfy her, and my dentist told me that it's actually good for your teeth. I always brush her teeth between eating and bed but it still seems better than giving her something that might leave traces of sugar on her teeth. I will also offer her water before bed. We give her cow's milk with meals but not usually otherwise. I have avoided giving cow's milk in a bottle. She got bottles of cow's milk at daycare for a few days as she transitioned away from bottles of breast milk to cow's milk in a cup at about 1 year, but otherwise we've avoided. I want her to nurse if she felt the need for sucking and for milk. I don't think there is anything *wrong* with cow's milk in a bottle, unless it is interfering with nursing and you don't want it to.

I would not give a child formula after 12 mos, give him real food.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

We offer DD a snack before nursing/bedtime. There are certain foods that are said to be sleep-inducing, i guess you could say, and others that are stimulating. Good ones are bananas, turkey, dairy+carbs (paleos shriek in horror and recoil...), so we usually offer cereal with yogurt. Apparently my grandmother was right and oranges are NOT a good pre bedtime snack (stimulating).

My only concern with a bottle of warm milk (fyi, it's the milk that has the lulling chemicals, the warmth is a personal choice but doesn't have any effect), depending on where/how it's offered, would be what if LO falls asleep with it, before nursing time?
    Last edited by @llli*isabelofmtl; January 21st, 2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Typo
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.