Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help poor latch.. :(

Default help poor latch.. :(

My sweet girl came 5 days ago and as I know not all babies are alike.. so looks like number 4 I am going to struggle with her latch. I have done everything that I know how todo at this time. different positions (football, side lying, cradle). My milk came in two days ago, but she is a clam.. She smacks her gums so tight that my nipples and areolas that they are bruised and bleeding.. then she gets frustrated and screams for hours poor baby.. but dang it hurts so bad the first few min of nursing. I can't get her to relax her jaw into nursing. I try to get the nipple back as possible and make sure they are pulled out as much as I can before nursing. any other ideas would be appreciated..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Default Re: help poor latch.. :(

Sorry, mama! I hate hearing that you're struggling with a difficult latch. Have you tried the reclined positions? Had her checked carefully for tongue and lips ties? Used the breast sandwich technique? Seen the IBCLC?

Honestly, I think that when you have a newborn and a latch problem, you go to see the professional.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I called today to get in.. she does good minus being a snap dragon.. I did the recline position after logging into here and reading through post.. it helped tons... my midwife today suggested maybe she needs and chiropractic adjustment? so I am calling on that.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

So just an update.. We have met with our local LLL leader.. my sweet girl has a postier tongue tie and a lip tie.. she is on her way back to birth weight but I am pumping and nursing and then after nursing feeding her the bottle.. Her scheduled procedure is in one week.. It feel like a eternity away. But I know I can do it. Just so hard..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I am so sorry your journey has been so difficult thus far! I really hope that fixing the ties results in a rapid turnaround.

I know this is difficult, but I just want to encourage you to muster all the patience you have. My kid took months to outgrow the problems her undiagnosed lip tie and possible posterior tongue tie caused us... But we got there eventually and she was a great nurser from around 4 months onward.

You can do it, mama!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks honey.. I need all the patience in the world.. hard to balance this and my other two... Glad my DH is a rockstar.. Our LLL lady said we will have to do some suck retraining to get her to learn to use her tongue right again.. it is really tight right now and her upper lip.. is a big big band so I don't know how they are going to fix it.. I have a feeling that one is going to hurt and take a little time to heal.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

So had her procedure done to remover both lip and tongue tie. It was recommended I still supplement until she starts sucking. I used a SNS which was nice until she stopped nursin and just drank out of the tube. So yesterday I pulled the supplement and she latched and nursed well still gained Today has been different 9 wet diapers so far today two poos. But I'm still having some anxiety over her losing weight. Her last poo was more green but I need to let her nurse longer on one side. Just hard they have me pumping still. I feel like I have sooo much milk. My breast feel engorged inbetween feedings

How many times each day does baby nurse? In my experience if the mother feels like she has a ton of milk then she probably does have a ton of milk -either that or baby is not nursing with enough effectiveness or with enough frequency. Of course if you have abundant production, that would be helpful in ensuring baby gets enough milk even given The tongue and lip tie issue.
    Anyway it is entirely normal for a newborn to nurse 10 to 15 times a day some more some less. So perhaps if you like and baby is willing, you can increase nursing frequency and cut down on the pumping? Is nursing comfortable at this point for you?

Pumping might not be necessary... I think I understand why they want you to be doing it- they want to make 100% sure your production stays up while baby masters the art of nursing. But if you feel like you have too much milk, then as LLLMeg says, you probably do!

Any chance of snagging a professional scale and doing before and after nursing weights for a few days? See what her average intake is at the breast, and maybe that will give you the data you need to decide whether to keep pumping and supplementing or not.

Nursing is comfortable now thank goodness. Her tongue is still weak so we are doing her excercises all the time. I've been nursing on demand so really all the time. Yesterday we lost three ounces so I'm going to try before and after weights again. I can hear swallowing and great diaper out put. The weightloss is making me nervous again dh told me not to worry. Hard not too. I'm still pumping since my breast are super full.
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones