Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2wk old spitting up breastmilk

Question 2wk old spitting up breastmilk

My 2 week old has started spitting up breast milk after feeding, sometimes during! If she dozes off while nursing and then ends up spitting some of it up, she chokes a little and scares the crap out of me! Why is this happening? Any thoughts on how I can prevent it? Or is this normal? I'm afraid she will spit up while she is sleeping or napping and choke on it in her sleep.
    Lisa & David Est. 9/3/11
    Madeline 12/31/13

Default Re: 2wk old spitting up breastmilk

Spitting up is normal, although some babies spit up more than others. The sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach that prevents older kids and adults from regurgitating after meals is not fully developed at first, so what goes down can often come up again. Nothing to be concerned about as long as your baby is a "happy spitter," ie seems unfazed by it, no projectile vomiting etc. Two of my babies were heavy spitters, I found it helped to keep them in a more upright position after feeding, but it didn't eliminate the spitting up entirely. And yes, spitting up while napping, spitting up a while after a meal... I basically never went anywhere without some cloth diapers at hand and a change of clothes for the baby!

Default Re: 2wk old spitting up breastmilk

with the PP. And you don't have to worry that your baby will choke on spit-up. Liquids can't get lodged in the esophagus the way solids can. They just get coughed out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"