Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ... questions so I can be more prepared...

Question ... questions so I can be more prepared...

I have some questions, but I'm going to give a little bit of background first...

I have 3 daughters, my first two wouldn't latch at the hospital so I had no problem going to formula and using bottles. DD3 latched shortly after birth and though I had pain I felt it was my duty to her as her mom not to give up, so I didn't and eventually the pain went away and it was a wonderful experience. Until I tried to use a bottle with breastmilk. She didn't want anything to do with it, at that point I figured we only had a few more months left and I wasn't going to fight her on it so she was EBF without bottles, she loved to eat and once she started eating more and using sippy cups we finally had people willing to watch her.

(Please no harsh opinions, I'm just looking for help/support) So I have had this internal debate about whether I want to BF again or if I just want to use bottles. This is our last baby, due in july, and there was a big part of me thinking I don't want to breastfeed, I just want the ease of using bottles and formula and not having to worry if my LO won't eat if DH and I decide to have a date. And I'm impressed with moms who pump whether its exclusively pumping or just pumping so they can work or whatever their reason is. I don't want to pump all the time though. So I was watching my friends baby today 8months old, and I was scooping out his formula to make him a bottle and I decided at that second that I don't want to do formula (unless of course I have to) So I've decided to breastfeed, hopefully it will be easier than last time. But this time around I am introducing bottles earlier, and I'm thinking that I want to do like one or two bottles a day to replace a BF session.

I wanted opinions on the best way to do this I don't want to hurt our breastfeeding relationship (hopefully we will have a good one) but I definitely want to be able to say here DH there are three bottles in the fridge if you need them I'm going to xyz with so and so. lol just in example that doesn't happen much at all

Any advise and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: ... questions so I can be more prepared...

Hi sugarfoot, I'm really glad that you've decided on breastfeeding! My experience with pumping is while working. The first thing I will say is, don't start pumping early on, because as you've already experienced, it's really important to get breastfeeding off to a good start, and unless there are issues, the best way to do that is usually to nurse exclusively. But, once you've gotten things off to a good start, say around 6 weeks or so, if you want to have some milk in the freezer for a night out with DH or whatever other separation you may have from your LO, then you can add an occasional pumping session in. Usually you have the most milk in the morning so if you want to add in a pumping session at that time, you might get the most bang for your buck. Since you're just planning for the occasional outing, you really don't need a lot - I mean if you are gone for 4 or 5 hours you probably only need a few ounces, assuming you nurse right before and right after the outing. So you could use a manual pump or a lower-priced single electric pump rather than spending a lot of money on a double electric pump, which is what a full-time working mom might use. The other thing is not to do much pumping in any given day, because that can get you into problems with oversupply, and anyway you shouldn't need to do that to get the milk you need.

I did have problems with oversupply with DD3. I had to pump sometimes just for relieve but she wouldn't accept a bottle. I know every mom and baby pair can be very different. My biggest concern is whether LO will accept the bottle, and how often I would need to give the bottle to ensure that there wouldn't be a refusal later on if I wasn't to give my baby a bottle every day is that more likely to happen...?

Thanks for the advise. I've got awhile before I'm due, lol I'm 14 weeks. But when I have questions I like to ask them right away. Once I decided that I do want to BF again I just needed ideas on how to incorporate a bottle since I had no luck last time.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

I think you're right, every baby is different when it comes to accepting the bottle or not. I mean I don't think it makes sense necessarily to get into a daily habit of giving a bottle just to be sure she will take one from time to time, you know? But in a way I think you just have to wait and see - maybe this baby will be perfectly happy to take a bottle, in which case you don't want to overthink things too much in terms of trying to do things around the assumption that she won't take a bottle.

Wait until the 4-6week point to introduce any bottles. That is late enough that it won't cause nipple confusion or preference but early enough that the baby won't reject it entirely. And I would pick a time a day that you are going to pump (And I recommend 1st thing is the am as that is when most women have an abundance) and pump in that frame everyday. I was able to work out 3-8oz depending on whether my child was spurting or when he had last ate. I also pumped if he slept for more than 3hours at a time during the day to avoid engorgement. And to be honest I didn't have much a of a freezer stash. But I did have a fridge stash. My DH took the baby every night for 2hours. And sometimes on the weekends for some day trips. Milk is good in the fridge for up to 7 days. So most of it was used up when it was still out fresh. But wait. Get your supply established before you introduce this process. But having it in place was wonderful for our family. It allowed boding for them, it allowed me to look forward to a light at the end of the tunnel every day. It was a huge help.

Way too lazy for formula