Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it ok to breastfeed when you have stomach flu?

Default Is it ok to breastfeed when you have stomach flu?

My 10 year old son came down with stomach bug this morning. I shared a spoon with him last night. Should I come down with this bug, is it ok to breastfeed while sick?

Also, what are the chances of Julia getting it? She is exclusively bf.

Thanks again!

Default Re: Is it ok to breastfeed when you have stomach flu?

It is okay to nurse when sick. In fact, it's preferable. By the time you get sick, you're making antibodies to whatever pathogen is causing the illness, and those antibodies are expressed in your milk along with other immune support factors that are already there. The antibodies may prevent your baby from getting sick, or may lessen the duration of the illness if she does come down with it.

Best way to keep your baby healthy: wash your hands with lots of soap and hot water, and make sure that other family members do the same before they touch the baby.

ETA: the chances of your baby getting this bug depends on how transmissible it is, and on whether or not she's been exposed. By the time someone is sick, they've probably already been infectious for a while, so the chances of exposure are high when you share a household with a sick person.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Is it ok to breastfeed when you have stomach flu?

I just got the stomach flu and I breastfeed thru it. I just had to make sure my husband was near by to take my DD in case I had to run off quickly. My supply has been impacted from being sick, probably since I couldn't eat for a day. So I'm glad I did bf or it would be even lower. Oh, and my little one never got sick. Good luck and I hope you don't get it.