Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for advice for pumping while on the road.

Default Looking for advice for pumping while on the road.

Five weeks after I give birth I will have to spend two weeks (in the car) moving across country. I have no choice in this matter because we are Military and when you have to move you just have to move. There is no option for flying, and this long car trip unavoidable.

I don’t quite know what my needs are yet for a breast pump because this is my first pregnancy (I am planning on breast feeding) but understand that I may and will probably want to pump during my long road trip.

I have not purchased a pump yet and I am looking for recommendations as far as travel pumps go, best ways to store breast milk while on the road, and any other feeding advice while traveling.

Cheers,
    Elizabeth
    Last edited by @llli*ebeth55-2; January 11th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Default Re: Looking for advice for pumping while on the road.

Presuming that breastfeeding is going well, you would not need a pump as long as you were willing to stop and nurse when the baby is hungry. This might mean your car trip ends up longer than you want it to be, but maybe not by much; a lot of babies are very calm and sleepy in the car. And if your baby has a long nighttime sleep stretch, you could potentially drive overnight, presuming that you have someone to drive while you and your baby sleep.

Why are you thinking you might need to pump? Is there something I'm missing- like maybe you're doing the trip solo or something?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Presuming that breastfeeding is going well, you would not need a pump as long as you were willing to stop and nurse when the baby is hungry. This might mean your car trip ends up longer than you want it to be, but maybe not by much; a lot of babies are very calm and sleepy in the car. And if your baby has a long nighttime sleep stretch, you could potentially drive overnight, presuming that you have someone to drive while you and your baby sleep.

Why are you thinking you might need to pump? Is there something I'm missing- like maybe you're doing the trip solo or something?

Thanks for your advise. Why am I thinking that I might need a pump? Only because everyone is telling me so, and I really don't know what my breast feeding experience is gong to be like. I am also just trying to prepare myself for living out of a suitcase for two weeks.

As a society, we tend to overcomplicate the experience of having a newborn. We're encouraged to approach the experience as consumers, focusing on the things we're going to buy (Pacifiers! Bottles! Pumps! Onesies! Hats! Blankets! Etc.) rather than on the things we should be doing, and also not doing. When people have pumps, they tend to use them- because they're insecure about milk production and want to measure how much milk they have, because they want dad/grandma/big sister to "bond" by feeding the baby a bottle, because they want to practice for the future when they might want to go out on a date... But just think about all those moms and babies who did just fine in the eons before pumps were invented- they simply nursed their babies and they all did just fine!!!

Pumps have their place. If a mom needs to work, or is having a problem nursing, pumps can save her breastfeeding journey. But most moms who are simply home with their babies, they're extraneous to breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well said - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As a society, we tend to overcomplicate the experience of having a newborn. We're encouraged to approach the experience as consumers, focusing on the things we're going to buy (Pacifiers! Bottles! Pumps! Onesies! Hats! Blankets! Etc.) rather than on the things we should be doing, and also not doing. When people have pumps, they tend to use them- because they're insecure about milk production and want to measure how much milk they have, because they want dad/grandma/big sister to "bond" by feeding the baby a bottle, because they want to practice for the future when they might want to go out on a date... But just think about all those moms and babies who did just fine in the eons before pumps were invented- they simply nursed their babies and they all did just fine!!!

Pumps have their place. If a mom needs to work, or is having a problem nursing, pumps can save her breastfeeding journey. But most moms who are simply home with their babies, they're extraneous to breastfeeding.
    Totally agree with this!

Over Christmas, I spent several days traveling by car visiting family. I had a double electric, but it's loud and I didn't want to buy the car adapter for it. So that I could pump in the car if I needed to, I bought a Medela Harmony manual pump.

We stopped and fed the baby when he woke up/was hungry, but because of the car travel, he often slept much longer than he normally would. This caused my breast to become engorged so pumping in the car was necessary. My Pump-in-style came with one of those travel storage bags, so when I pumped, I would just store it in the bag and then feed it to him in the evening when we stopped at a hotel where I could warm it up.