Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely pump weaned, but work trip is coming

Default Completely pump weaned, but work trip is coming

My daughter is 18 mos and I nurse on demand when I'm not working. I work M thru F, gone 9 to 10 hours a day incl drive time. Lots of nursing at night when we co sleep and on weekends as well. We have a great nursing relationship and my supply completely fulfills her needs. But next month I'm off to Canada for work (from the u.s.) - it'll be my first travel since I pump weaned at 15 mos. I will prob be gone 4 full days. Question to moms who have been in this situation - did you drag the pump back out and take it along? Did you just hand express? I was so happy to pump wean 3 mos ago but I certainly can't go 24 hours let alone 4 days. TIA.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Completely pump weaned, but work trip is coming

You'd be surprised what you can do. In terms of NOT nursing. I know of a TON of people who could at this point go away for a weekend and not pump and come back and pick up right where they left off. Heavy full boobs. That may not be the case for you. But I have heard that story here enough times to think it pretty common. I personally think I would take a hand pump and pump only what you needed to to relieve engorgement if you have any.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree it may be possible but having a back up plan seems like the way to go. I've never looked at manual pumps but I will. Thanks.

Hi debbers, I've been in this situation several times in the past 10 months. I am prone to plugged ducts so I did not consider getting by without pumping (though if it works for you, go for it!). I considered a manual pump but decided the last thing I wanted to deal with when I was on a busy work trip was to spend a lot of time trying to get milk out with a manual pump, so I took my PISA instead. Kind of a pain to lug the thing around, though! I have an upcoming work trip later this month and still planning to take the thing. I pumped once in the morning and once at night, but of course that will vary from mom to mom.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Hi debbers, I've been in this situation several times in the past 10 months. I am prone to plugged ducts so I did not consider getting by without pumping (though if it works for you, go for it!). I considered a manual pump but decided the last thing I wanted to deal with when I was on a busy work trip was to spend a lot of time trying to get milk out with a manual pump, so I took my PISA instead. Kind of a pain to lug the thing around, though! I have an upcoming work trip later this month and still planning to take the thing. I pumped once in the morning and once at night, but of course that will vary from mom to mom.
    ?? You did all this AFTER you pump weaned?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, I pump weaned at a year, LO is now 22 months, I've been on 3 trips in the past 10 months. I would love it if I could get by without pumping!

Does your little one take expressed milk while you travel these days?
    Or do you just skip it, pump for relief while you're gone and resume nursing when you're back?
    My daughter stopped wanting milk during my workday prob 5 months ago, even before I pump weaned.
    I still have a freezer stash but I doubt she'll take it. Feeling like it's time to dump it or donate before it's useless.

My LO stopped drinking the expressed milk a while back too, I think that's pretty common with toddlers. So I don't bother with transporting the milk when traveling, just pump to keep myself comfortable.

My LO stopped drinking the expressed milk a while back too, I think that's pretty common with toddlers. So I don't bother with transporting the milk when traveling, just pump to keep myself comfortable.
    Oh I won't transport it back. I just meant do you try to have husband, caregiver etc give any expressed milk - say from a frozen stash - while you're out of town. The only way we could do it is to defrost and mix into a smoothie. Otherwise no milk for the time I'll be gone. We do not do cows milk (or soy, rice, almond) but there's coconut milk in her daily smoothie plus avocado and lots of fresh organic fruits and veg.

In the early toddler months when she was still drinking expressed milk, DH did give her expressed milk at bedtime/nighttime. But on the more recent trips, once she had stopped drinking expressed milk, he no longer tried. My LO does eat dairy (especially cheese), but even in the absence of dairy, if it's too much trouble for your DH to make the smoothies, I think your LO will be fine without milk for a few days - it sounds like she has a varied and healthy diet!