Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: please help me-so much pain!

Default please help me-so much pain!

I have been having very strange pain in my breasts the last two days. There are two sensations. One is pain that goes from right behind the nipple back into the breast tissue and is a sharper, deeper pain. It comes and goes throughout the day sometimes only lasting for a few seconds and sometimes for minutes. The other feels like the heat sensation when you get contrast dye for an MRI or something only it is painful. That one starts on the nipple and spreads closer the surface. This one only lasts for about 20seconds each time but it happens probably 3x every 5 minutes.
    I do not know what this is or even what dr I would go to for it but I cannot take it.
    BTW-it is not impacting nursing or pumping. It happens throughout the day regardless of whether I am nursing, pumping, driving, walking, or just sitting.
    Any thoughts? I need this to stop!!
    Thanks ladies
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Default Re: please help me-so much pain!

Are you having any blanching of your nipples? Vasospasms can cause deep breast pain, and they can be a reaction to colder weather. They don't have to happen only while nursing, either. I found that a hot compress did wonders for stopping the pain. Maybe try applying something warm the next time it happens to see if that helps?

Forgive my ignorance but what are blanching of the nipples and vasospasms? There are no visible signs of anything. No sores, cuts, etc. Ellie was on amoxicillin for a double ear infection. Are either of those thrush related? I will try heat next time. Thanks!

Sorry, I should have been more clear! Blanching is when the tips of your nipples turn white, or blueish/purple. There doesn't have to be any open sores. This link covers things http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-V-RP

The vasospasms that I had were secondary to thrush, so it could be thrush related. But I would think that if you had thrush, you'd have pain during nursing and pumping too?

Thanks for the info. Okay. So, no blanching that I have seen but I put them away as soon as I am done nursing/pumping so I have never looked immediately after or when the pain occurs. The only time I have pain while nursing or pumping is one the opposite side. Never during actual removal. Vasospasms sound like a possibility. The symptoms seem to match up. Would carrying around those little hand warmers and popping them in my bra when this happens help? I never know when it is going to happen and by the time I get a heating pad warmed up the pain would likely be gone.
    If this does not stop/go away would I go to my GP or OB-GYN or an IBCLC? Or is this more of a self-diagnosis trial and error thing?

Those hand warmers sound like a great idea! I've even read of using a blow dryer in a pinch.

As for who to see, idk. I guess it depends on how knowledgeable your doc is about breastfeeding issues. It might be worth seeing an ibclc to rule out other causes too. I know that there's a medication called nifedipine that they can try if the heat doesn't help, but beyond that I'm not sure what they can do. I know there's someone around here that has a signature that says that they had Reynaud's, but I can't remember who it was. If I think of it I'll post it, you could maybe pm them.

ok, it's @llli*bxlgirl

Thank you! I am looking for a local ibclc. I think is the best bet. This weekend was miserable!