Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reduced comfort nursing - nervous about my supply!

Default reduced comfort nursing - nervous about my supply!

My son (5 months) used to comfort nurse before naps and bedtime, not eating much as far as I could tell but still nursing for a few minutes. Due to schedule changes my husband now puts him down for naps and bed, so no more comfort nursing at those times. I nurse on demand during the day and overnight, but am afraid that this drastic reduction in number of nursing sessions each day will lead to supply problems. I'm happy to let him comfort nurse during the day, unrelated to naps, but he's not always interested. All told, he now has about 6 feedings during the day and 2-3 at night.

Any thoughts? He's been waking at night to comfort nurse way less too, though I don't know if that's due to general development or his new bedtime routine with dad. No solids yet. Is it safe to assume that it'll work out since I'm still feeding on demand? Should I just offer frequently and hope for the best?

Thank you!!

Default Re: reduced comfort nursing - nervous about my supply!

So if he is getting 6 feedings during the day and 2-3 at night that is still good. My almost 5 month gets that many and I have not seen a problem. I do try to get in a couple of pump times. I would offer as much as you can. Even if he is on there just a few min. he is still removing milk. I'm going to follow this and view your responses from others it seems like since my baby is getting older he doesn't nurse the way he use to. He still gets in 8-9 feedings in a 24 hour time frame.

Default Re: reduced comfort nursing - nervous about my supply!

Thanks for your response! It seems like if he's only getting milk from me, there's no reason for my supply to dip below his needs ... but I get nervous anyway!