Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My milk is getting low, HELP PLEASE!!

Default My milk is getting low, HELP PLEASE!!

I'm afraid my milk is drying up. My baby is not gaining much weight, he's just about the same weight as he was when we went to the doctor for his 4th month shots. He will be six months on the 18th. I've been drinking a lot of fluids and eating a lot. I'm also nursing him as much as I can but he's still small. Also, I'm not leaking as much as before, not even when I'm feeding him. I still feel mild cramping in my abdomen and tingling sensation on the other breast when I'm feeding him though. But my breast are always soft and I can't even fill a 4 oz bottle. I want to feed him until he's two years old, what can I do to revive my milk? This is starting to get really frustrating for me.

Default Re: My milk is getting low, HELP PLEASE!!

Welcome to the forum!

Can you give us a complete weight history for your baby, and tell us how baby has been weighed (always in the nude, using the same scale, or using different scales with baby in different states of dress/undress?). Also, how is the baby acting- is he generally happy after feedings, or is he fussing and constantly wanting more? Is he producing a normal number of wet/poopy diapers? Are you using any hormonal contraception, and is there a possibility that you are pregnant?

Basically, here's what I'm thinking. After a few months, it's normal for the rate of growth and weight gain to decline, and for a baby to drop percentiles as they go from the super-fast growth you generally see in the newborn stage to the more moderate growth rate you get as baby gets closer to a year of age. Feeling "empty" or soft pretty much all the time is normal when a mom is nursing on demand and her supply and baby's demand are adjusted to each other- when you feel full, you're generally making quite a bit more milk than baby needs. Not being able to pump 4 oz at a time is normal- 4 oz is actually quite a large amount to be pumping at one time, particularly for a mom whose supply is well-matched to her baby's demand. Remember, the average feeding for a breastfed baby is just 2-4 oz at a time! And pumps don't empty the breast as well as a baby does. Not leaking means nothing- most moms find that leaking decreases or stops completely within a few months of birth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reply! My baby was born at 6 lbs 14 ounces. When he was weighed at four months, he was 13.5 lbs. he was not naked when they weighed him that time. He's a strong baby, he started sitting at four months, and now he's standing with help at 5 months. He's not fussy when he eats. The only thing that bothers me is that he is not gaining weight and only have around 4 wet diapers in a day. He don't poop everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Can you give us a complete weight history for your baby, and tell us how baby has been weighed (always in the nude, using the same scale, or using different scales with baby in different states of dress/undress?). Also, how is the baby acting- is he generally happy after feedings, or is he fussing and constantly wanting more? Is he producing a normal number of wet/poopy diapers? Are you using any hormonal contraception, and is there a possibility that you are pregnant?

Basically, here's what I'm thinking. After a few months, it's normal for the rate of growth and weight gain to decline, and for a baby to drop percentiles as they go from the super-fast growth you generally see in the newborn stage to the more moderate growth rate you get as baby gets closer to a year of age. Feeling "empty" or soft pretty much all the time is normal when a mom is nursing on demand and her supply and baby's demand are adjusted to each other- when you feel full, you're generally making quite a bit more milk than baby needs. Not being able to pump 4 oz at a time is normal- 4 oz is actually quite a large amount to be pumping at one time, particularly for a mom whose supply is well-matched to her baby's demand. Remember, the average feeding for a breastfed baby is just 2-4 oz at a time! And pumps don't empty the breast as well as a baby does. Not leaking means nothing- most moms find that leaking decreases or stops completely within a few months of birth.

Thanks for the reply! My baby was born at 6 lbs 14 ounces. When he was weighed at four months, he was 13.5 lbs. he was not naked when they weighed him that time. He's a strong baby, he started sitting at four months, and now he's standing with help at 5 months. He's not fussy when he eats. The only thing that bothers me is that he is not gaining weight and only have around 4 wet diapers in a day. He don't poop everyday.

Okay, so if baby was weighed in his clothing, then proper weighing procedure has not been followed at each check-up. Clothing and a diaper, particularly if it's full, can add considerable weight. If your baby was weighed in clothing at 4 months and nude at 6 months, then he might have appeared heavier at 4 months than he actually was, making it seem like he didn't gain weight between 4 and 6 months.

Some more questions for you:
    1. How often does baby nurse in a 24 hour period?
    2. Does baby sleep through the night?
    3. Are you pregnant?
    4. Are you using hormonal birth control?
    5. What sort of scale has been used: a professional digital scale, a bathroom scale, an old fashioned analog scale? Has the same scale been used at each check-up?
    6. Between 4 and 6 months, did baby move up in his diaper or clothing size?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I don't really count how many times he eats but I always try to feed him. Sometimes he falls asleep, sometimes he just stay at my breast from 2 to 10 minutes. He sleeps through the night for no less than 8 hours a d take short naps through the day. I don't use birth control, haven't checked if I'm pregnant. It was the old fashioned scale. He didn't change on the diaper sized but he always use the 18 lbs size.

Since the old fashioned scale is being used and baby is sometimes being weighed in clothes, I think there's a good chance that the weights are wrong. I'd love to see your baby weighed properly in the future- ALWAYS nude, ALWAYS on the same scale as last used, and on a professional digital scale if one is available.

The one thing that really jumps out at me is that your baby is sleeping really long stretches at night. 8 hours is a very long time for a little baby to go without eating. Since you have a concern about his weight gain, the first thing I would do is to add 1-2 feedings at night. It's perfectly fine to wake your baby, and it is the first thing to try when there's concern about weight.

Yes, I realized it's too long. But he does wake up in the middle of the night once or twice to eat. Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it. I just started him on solid and he's doing well with it. I hope my milk don't dry up soon, I'd love to feed him until he turns two.

Milk doesn't dry up unless there's a good reason for that to happen. The most common reasons for a mom to lose some or all supply are:
    - Not nursing enough
    - Taking a medication which decreases supply- good examples would include certain types of hormonal contraception, medicines containing pseudoephedrine
    - Pregnancy

None of that applies to me except the last one because we have been doing it without protection. I guess I will just check it again. Thanks for the response!