Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush and stored milk

Default thrush and stored milk

Hello all, I'm exclusively pumping because baby had problems latching on. I think I may have thrush, nipples are sore all the time to the point where it hurts for baby to even brush against them while burping. They are brighf pink and when I shower there's this white residue I can't clean off (its never ending and it hurts), I was gsb positive and had antibiotics during labor. My baby is almost 4 Weeks in the beginning I was pumping more than she was eating so I have a lot of stored milk. My question is should I throw out all my frozen milk :'(, baby doesn't seem to show any signs of thrush. I have tried a couple times to introduce baby back to nipple do she has come in contact with it. I haven't gone to doctors yet, but I don't want to treat it then have it come back or for baby to get it if she doesn't have it now.

Default Re: thrush and stored milk

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

First, have you seen this link on getting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/? The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques mentioned in the link are said to be especially helpful.

Second, no- please do not throw out your milk!!! Even if it's thrush-y, it can be used. You may want to scald it before using it, particularly if you cure your own case of thrush and then get baby back to the breast. Even though your baby currently shows no signs of thrush, I would consider treating the both of you simultaneously.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"