Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice needed - saggy breasts and breastfeeding

Default Advice needed - saggy breasts and breastfeeding

I need some advice please. My little girl is 3 months old and apart from the normal breastfeeding niggles, she has been bf beautifully until now. Since about a couple of days ago she wrestles with my breast. It is as if she can't get a good latch because my breasts are to saggy? I will often feed her whilst on my side on the bed. She pushes her head hard forward to latch and often gets frustrated. She will suck a bit and then let go and then latch again ... and in a circle we go. When I squeeze my beast milk sprays out, so I assume I have enough? Although I don't get that fullness of breast and pressure in the nipple area anymore, if that makes sense?

Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Advice needed - saggy breasts and breastfeeding

Hi julias.mum, welcome! Three months is the prime time for something one breastfeeding expert calls the 'crisis at three months.' At around this age, nursing behavior typically changes, while at the same time, breasts tend to feel much more 'empty' at this point (if not before.) The "crisis" is that moms mistakenly think this means low production, when it is actually normal and does not mean low production.

If you think baby is getting frustrated due to a slowing of the milk flow (also normal) you can try breast compressions. if baby is truly having difficulty latching, you could try 'shaping' your breast (gently squeezing it) with one hand as a way of facilitating latch.

I would also suggest just as general tips, it is normal for baby to still be nursing pretty frequently but some sessions may well become much shorter than before, and, if you are bottle feeding at all or using a pacifier, it may be a good idea to avoid too many bottles or too much pacifier use.

But this may just blow over with a little patience and maybe playing around with different positions, etc.

Breast compressions: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC

Low milk production (read first part about how to tell production is really low) http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

does any of that help?

with everything from LLLMeg.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Advice needed - Saggy breasts and breastfeeding

Is this happening in any position? Or just when you try to nurse laying down?

Way too lazy for formula

not getting fullness and pressure is normal as your supply regulates; it's not a sign of reduced milk production.

is the wrestling a new thing? any other pattern to it (time of day, etc)?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you for your advice. It is going slightly better until this morning. Mini meltdown on Julia's side but we will push through. One more question if she has a lot of wet nappy's and has a poo nappy at least once a day, is it safe to say that she is getting enough milk? I am so confused. Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Is this happening in any position? Or just when you try to nurse laying down?
    It is a bit better when I sit up but this morning it happened again. She was screaming and would suck a bit and then let go. I don't know if she has stomach ache as I had a very mild curry last night. This is difficult and confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    not getting fullness and pressure is normal as your supply regulates; it's not a sign of reduced milk production.

is the wrestling a new thing? any other pattern to it (time of day, etc)?
    Yes it is a new thing and no pattern to it. It also does not happen every day. :-\

I think that the output you describe, for this age, is a very good indicator baby is getting enough. You can also look at things like, does baby appear relaxed after most feedings, and overall 'look' of baby. However, the real 'test' is weight gain. Remember gain slows over time. Very generally, babies gain~ an ounce a day first three months, ~3/4th ounce per day after that, then ~1/2 a day after about 6 months.