Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions for feeding a 4 month old

Default Questions for feeding a 4 month old

Hi, I am new to this group and am in the process of moving so I haven't been able to go to a meeting yet. I already found a group where I'm moving too and plan to make the next meeting! :-)

My question is...
    My son was born the end of August and I tried to breastfeed. He refused...would just scream bloody murder in any position I tried to feed him in. So...after pumping for 4-5 weeks, my milk supply just started to decrease where I would only get about 2 ounces total every 2 hours...:-( So, I eventually stopped breastfeeding and went to formula with whatever bm I could get for about 2 weeks and then he went fully on formula. We've had problems with Acid Reflux and finally got everything under control. He is about 5lbs under weight because of the issues we've had. I am now to the point where I want to stop his medicine and formula and try to breastfeed again. I have read that it is possible to re-lactate but my issue is he wants nothing to do with my breast...again, just screams bloody murder. I've again done different positions but he just screams...:-( Any ideas on what I can do to try this...? I am starting Fenugreek vitamins again but need him to latch in order for it to really start up again...Can someone please help...:-(

Default Re: Questions for feeding a 4 month old

Welcome to the forum!

It is definitely possible to bring your milk supply back. What you need to do is to give your breasts frequent stimulation and milk removal. If the baby will nurse, you nurse the baby as much as possible. If not, you use a high-quality electric pump, preferably a hospital-grade pump, with correctly sized breast shields. Aim to pump about as frequently as a newborn eats, 10-12 times a day and more if possible. Don't worry if some days you can't manage to pump that often- anything you can do is wonderful!

Getting your baby to nurse again may be possible. Or not. There are no guarantees. But this is a useful website:http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially helpful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"