Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2.5 month old eating 6oz...being over fed?

Default 2.5 month old eating 6oz...being over fed?

I just went back to work and have been providing three 4oz bottles for my baby to drink because that's what the LC told me he would need. My daycare provider has ran out of milk every time he is there. They say that he sucks the milk down fast and then screams his head off for more milk. He had drank SIX OUNCES of breast milk at at least one feeding since he's been there. They said I need to bring one 4 oz bottle and two 6 oz bottles.

So my question... Have any of you had big boys that wanted 6 oz of breast milk in one sitting or is something going on here? He is currently using the avent natural bottles with level 1 nipples...if that makes a difference.

I am just at a loss because he is eating so much. I have an oversupply and I have to add in an extra pumping session to cover what he is currently eating. I want to be sure that they aren't over feeding him and if they are...what can I do?

Default Re: 2.5 month old eating 6oz...being over fed?

Welcome to the forum!

How long are you at work each day? The rule of thumb for expressed milk is that a mom should provide about 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separation from her baby. Some days the baby will drink less than that, and some days more (particularly during growth spurts), so think of the 1.5 oz per hour figure as an average. Anyway, for an 8 hour workday, you'd want to provide about 12 oz. Your daycare provider is asking you for 16 oz, which strikes me as quite excessive unless you're at work for 11 hours! My guess is that you're not, so it's probably time to talk to your caregiver about how she gives the bottles. Is she using paced bottle feeding techniques (http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...tle-feeding/)? Is she swapping in a pacifier or other comforting technique when the baby has finished the bottle?

It may also help to break your milk down into smaller portions. Instead of sending a few big bottles- and 6 oz bottles are HUGE, by the way!- send lots of small ones. That way the caregiver will be forced to stop the feeding in order to reach for another bottle, giving the baby a chance to decide whether or not he's really still hungry. A lot of moms send a mix of 2-3 oz bottles and 1-2 oz "top-off" bottles.

Finally, is your baby sleeping through the night, or does he wake pretty frequently to nurse? If he's sleeping for long stretches, it may help to wake him at night and nurse him. More calories taken in at night can mean less need for them at daycare.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for responding. I will answer all you questions below. I appreciate your help so much!!

How long are you at work each day? From 8 - 5 .. I feed him around 6-630 am before he goes to daycare. Some days I will try to top him off at 7 if I have time before I leave.

Is she swapping in a pacifier or other comforting technique when the baby has finished the bottle? She said they don't do pacis there! I was thinking about getting ones of those kind that have the animal attached to it and see what she says

It may also help to break your milk down into smaller portions. Instead of sending a few big bottles- and 6 oz bottles are HUGE, by the way! So I send three 4 oz bottles and then a container of 4 oz of milk that she warms up 2 oz at a time when he has ate the 4 oz. She says that she tries to distract him, but that he gets really really mad and wants more food.

Finally, is your baby sleeping through the night, or does he wake pretty frequently to nurse? No he's not at all. I nurse him at 5:30-6 pm, 9 pm, 10:30 pm, 3 am and 6 am. Sometimes again at 7 am if I can.

He's a big boy..only 2.5 months and over 14 lbs. I want to try to find super slow flow nipples so she can't possibly over feed him even if she isn't following all those rules from the link. It has been so stressful trying to pump this much milk and nurse him when he is home.

Has the DCP seen the paced bottle techniques, and are they using them? If they are telling you he sucks the milk down fast, it does not sound as if they are actually doing a paced bottle feed. Also, why don't they "do" pacifiers there? What other comforting measures do they try, if any? What I am saying is that suckling is very comforting to baby, so it may not be that baby is truly hungry for more milk, he just may not be done meeting his suckling needs, know what I mean? And if they are feeding baby very fast, that is likely the main reason he is unsatisfied.

You're right to be concerned about the stress of pumping this much milk and also continuing to nurse him at home! Most moms would not be able to keep up with this rate of intake, and this rate of intake will also increase the likelihood that over time, baby will want to nurse less when he is home with you. So I personally would want to be working with the DCP to get this straightened out.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

How long are you at work each day? From 8 - 5 .. I feed him around 6-630 am before he goes to daycare. Some days I will try to top him off at 7 if I have time before I leave.
    That's a long workday. 9 hours at work, and the baby doesn't generally eat right before he goes to daycare, so he's actually not nursing for around 10.5-11 hours. Go by the 1.5 oz per hour rule, and it suggests that the 16 oz your DCP is asking for is probably approximately right- though perhaps paced bottle feeding and swapping in a pacifier could reduce his intake a bit. If you can find a way to nurse the baby closer to 8 am, it might also reduce his intake at daycare, but obviously this depends on how far your daycare is from your workplace. Nursing as soon as you pick baby up at 5 pm might also help, if your DCP is willing to keep the last bottle of the day small and slow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I fed him today at 7:30 and she said he ate at 11 - 6 oz in 5 mins and again at 2 - 6 oz in 5 mins. There's only 4 oz left at daycare so I hope he doesn't suck that down too and then scream for more . What are some super slow flow bottles that you'd recommend?

All of the bottles and nipples are going to be slightly different. Unfortunately, there's really no ranking system out there for which slow flow nipples are the "slowest." But paced bottle feedings are also about more than just the speed of the flow through the nipple; the provider also has to contribute. Generally by holding the bottle horizontally, and also by occasionally pausing the feed to give baby a break. Is the provider willing to try any of this?

Would your DCP be at all amenable to multiple smaller bottles? I didn't realize you were separated for 11 hours, I misread your earlier post. But breastfed babies are still usually used to more, smaller feeds than their formula fed counterparts. It is a rare breastfed baby who drinks 6 oz at a meal, in other words. So baby might be happier with those 16 oz spread out into multiple smaller feeds.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Here's another link to a sheet you can print out and go over with caregivers - it covers some of the information sonogirl mentions:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

One way to assess the flow of the nipple is to let water run through it. I used Avent size "0" nipples in the past.