Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Burning sensation during latching. Please help!

Default Burning sensation during latching. Please help!

I am a new mom, to a lovely baby girl. She is almost 4 weeks old now. I had some issues during the first 2 weeks of BFing, very sore nipples, shallow latching etc.
    For last few days we are doing okay after i learned about the sandwitching nipple technique. However this works well on my right side, the left side still hurts.
    I have few questions, kindly help me.
    1. I get this horrible burning sensation when LO latches on, and then the pain stops. what could be the reason for this?
    2. When she latches on, she feeds for nice 20 mins, and then she falls asleep and sill just continues suckling, but at this time, she loses her proper latch and just chomps on the nipples, which again hurts a lot. As of now i am just un-latching her, and i wait till she wakes again (if she is still hungry) and latch her on again. But this is getting little frustrating as she is almost feeding every 1-2 hrs. (assuming growth spurt)

I am applying lanolin after every nursing session, but this is not helping much

please help.
    New Mom to a cute lil baby girl

Default Re: Burning sensation during latching. Please help!

I am also having these problems. My baby girl is 12 days old. If anyone has conquered this problem please provide us with some advice.

1. A lot of moms experience a short-lived latch-on pain that people call the "sizzle". What it is, usually, is the baby's initial latch being a bit shallow, with the nipple landing on the front of the tongue underneath the hard palate, where it gets compressed and hurt as the baby sucks. After a few sucks, maybe 10-30 seconds, the baby draws the nipple deeper into his mouth, into the "sweet spot" on the back of the tongue up underneath the soft palate. Once the nipple is where it should be, the compression and the pain both stop.

2. Once a baby falls asleep, she's often unable to maintain a great latch. She slips down onto the nipple and- chomp! Instead of letting the baby unlatch on her own, you want to unlatch her yourself- which you're already doing. Now, as to the question you didn't ask: the 1-2 hour intervals between feedings are normal for such a young baby. Infant tummies are tiny and breastmilk digests fast, which means that most babies are hungry about 90 minutes after the beginning of their last feeding, leading to a 1-2 hour feeding interval.

If you're really sore, it may help to see the lactation consultant again, to try different nursing positions, and to wait. Most latching problems solve themselves with time, as the baby's mouth grows.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your suggestions and information. I really hope (and pray) that BF gets easier from here on.
    I did see an LC, who was very helpful and she prescribed a nipple cream for the soreness and pain.

the nipple cream provided by my LC has worked wonders!!! in two days the burning and pain has reduced considerably!!!