Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Start-up Advice

Question Need Start-up Advice

My LO is almost 4 weeks old now, and I am EBF her. I will be going back to work in March, and I want to continue nurse my baby with BM.
    I am ordering a pump this week, should I start pumping right away to build the back-up? or should i wait for some more time?
    If I should start now, how many times a day should i pump? and at what time.
    My LO gave me a hard time last 2 days where she was cluster feeding and I am assuming it was the growth spurt.
    I am also scared that pumping might reduce my milk. I have read a lot of articles about this, still just scared.
    New Mom to a cute lil baby girl

Default Re: Need Start-up Advice

Hey there!

So, pumping will not reduce your milk. Even if the baby gets hungry immediately after you pump, baby will be able to get her meal. She might have to work a little harder at it, but she will eventually get what she needs.

Realistically, you only need to store up one day's worth of milk before you have to go back. The rule of thumb is that baby will need 1-1.5 oz per hour during a work separation, so that's the total amount of milk you should be aiming for. I would suggest picking a convenient time of day for you, and pump immediately after baby feeds. You have the luxury of some time before you have to go to work, so even if this only yields a very small amount of milk (which is normal!), you have many weeks to store up the milk you need. I would not personally make the effort to pump more frequently than once a day, since you have some time to build up a small stash. Many moms prefer to pump early in the morning, as this is when they yield the most milk. I, however, did not have this experience personally, so I just pumped whenever was most convenient for myself and my baby--in my case, that meant whenever another adult was around to hold the baby!

Cluster feeding is also very normal. I would definitely advise not pumping during your baby's typical cluster feeding hours, for your own sanity!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

with the excellent advice from the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would wait a couple more weeks before starting to pump. Maybe it is due to my experience with oversupply, but I would hate to see you over-stimulate with the pump and end up making too much milk, getting engorged and that whole mess. You have plenty of time, so I would wait just a little bit longer.

You didn't ask about storage, but in case you don't already know, here are some tips on EBM storage when trying to build up a freezer stash. You should freeze your milk within a couple of days and once thawed it should be eaten within 24 hours. This doesn't mean that you will have to store dozens of 1oz bags/bottles of milk, because if you cool the milk thoroughly in the refrigerator you can add it into an already frozen bag/bottle. Just be sure to write the date of the oldest milk on the bag/bottle and keep track of how much milk you put in there. Don't rely on the measurements on the sides of the bag/bottle because the milk will expand and the measurements on the sides of the storage bags are useless, fresh or frozen. Freeze containers with a variety of ounces so you can pull out exactly how much milk you need.

Good for you, thinking about this ahead of time. I waited until the last minute, very focused on fixing my oversupply for 2 months, and then I had less than 2 weeks to get my first work day's milk.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thanks for the information and advice.
    Today I attended the first mother-to-mother support meeting at my hospital it was great to meet other mothers. We discussed just a little bit about pumping and the LC suggested me that I start pumping and storing 3 weeks before I have to join back. So I will aim to do just that.
    I was just about add the question about storing BM.
    Can you please suggest which brands storage bags/containers are good and economic ones in your experience?

Once again thanks moms!!!
    New Mom to a cute lil baby girl

I used a combo of the small cylinder freezer bottles and the bags. The cylinder bottles (I used Medela brand) stored around 2oz, then the bags (I used Lansinoh) stored larger amounts of milk, like 4-6oz.

Since I worked full time 5 days a week I would use pumped milk Monday through Thursday for the following day, then freeze Friday's milk and thaw my oldest milk for Monday.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I will just chime in as a mom of the NON-oversupply persuasion--if I had only had 3 weeks to pump and store, I would not have managed to store up enough milk for my first day back to work! On average, I could generally only pump about 0.25-0.5 oz a day over what my baby was drinking from me, because my supply was exceptionally well matched to my baby's demand. So, I think the advice you got from the LC is good advice for many, many moms, but may be a bit too stringent for others.

I would suggest maybe trying to pump one day in the near future, and see what kind of response you have to the pump, and what kind of yield you have, and then decide when to begin pumping after that!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!