Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what is going on??? no weight gain?

Default what is going on??? no weight gain?

my lo, diesel, was born december 9th.... he was 8lbs 9oz. he got down to 7 lbs 5oz.he has very VERY slowly been gaining weight.... and i syringe fed him after every feed for a while until i decided it was time for me to just keep nursing him. with they syringe feeds, i was giving him an ounce in the syringe, and he was getting about an ounce straight from me... now i feed him every hour-2 hours and he is getting an average of 3oz at each feed until afternoon (just from me.... before and after feed weight checks,) and from around 6pm-10pm he is eating almost non-stop. i can put him down for about 5 minutes, but that's it.at around 10 he'll sleep for around 3-4 hours straight, and then he's back to eating every 1-2 hours. afternoon/evening, he seems to be getting an average of 1.5-2oz each feed.... and then, after the 4 hour stretch, back up to 3 oz. he has around 10 VERY wet diapers a day and around 5 dirty diapers.

his last weight check was on the 30th, and he was 7lbs 7oz.... and today he was 7lbs 9oz.... this weight was the scale i have at home, though.

my question. what could possibly be going on? he isn't lethargic, he has plenty of awake times, he is on the thin/lean side with some extra skin, but doesn't look malnourished.... could he just have a really high metabolism? could he be using all the calories he is taking in and it just isn't showing as weight? could something really be wrong? this last question has me stumped, only because my youngest dd had the same issues and the drs did not handle it well. including calling dss on me and forcing her to be put into the hospital (mandatory 72 hour stay, she stayed less than 24 hours because the hospital saw that she was just fine and she was gaining at her own rate...) that little girl is now 3 years old and 35lbs. she's not tiny. BUT, now i have all of those memories rushing back, and i am scared to death that they (new doctor. dropped the other one.... one of the reasons they called dss,) are going to try the same thing!

wow, that was long. my bad! lol. i guess me sitting here with this little boy on my chest having skin to skin time while he sleeps, i feel like i need some sort of reassurance that he's ok.

Default Re: what is going on??? no weight gain?

ok, so it's over four weeks since birth and baby is still not back to birth weight or even close....? this sounds like it is beyond a breastfeeding issue. I totally understand your hesitation about seeking a medical opinion due to your previous experience, but the only reccomendation I can make in good concience is to seek a medical opinion. If you do not have a doctor you trust, is there any LLL or other breastfeeding support at all in your area where you might get a reccomendation of a doctor who is breastfeedign knowledgable? Or a doctor who knows the history with your daughter and will not freak out?

It is very confusing that baby is takiing in 3 ounces at a time, nursing frequently, pooping lots, and not gaining. This is what is particularly concerning to me, even though the same thing happend with your older child. Is there any chance scale error is involved?

I agree with Meg, it sounds like perhaps something more is going on. Was your Dr concerned about his weight at all on the 30th?
    Ryder James 1/21/13

doctor wasn't concerned... especially since this happened with my youngest daughter, as well.... and she is now 3 and weighs almost 40lbs. lol.she's almost as tall as her 6 and 8 year old sisters, and only 5lbs off from the 6 year old. i don't want to miss anything, but i'm honestly starting to wonder if he has a really high metabolism.... he is super active, always moving and rolling....

1512602_10153660093675231_1484529570_n.jpg this is him, yesterday..... maybe i need some "not mommy" eyes. how does he look to y'all? i was at a baby shower today and people were saying how little he is. (but he was in the moby, so they couldn't really see him.)